New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

My ’96 Sable needs to be put to rest

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 07:04 PM

Hey, my name is Jamie and i've got a '96 Sable GS. I bought it 3 years ago from a guy (who I now despise HORRIBLY) and the engine runs well but the rest of the car is slowly dieing.

Anyway, i'm going to be moving to a different state and I won't be taking the Sable with me. There are numerous things wrong with it and i'm honestly not sure how much longer it's going to last, so I dont know if I should sell it or just donate it and hope for a couple hundred through a tax refund.

I would greatly appreciate anybody's two cents about what to do with my first car.

I am the 3rd owner. The first owner let the car get pretty dinged up with hail, but I bought it anyway for $2,000 with 115,000 miles from a guy named Jim who has a towing company. (That should have been my first clue this guy was no good). He told me the car was on its second tranny, perfectly fine, just came out of a car that was no longer driveable. Two weeks after I purchased the car as-is, I found out it needed a new tranny...thanks a bunch, Jim. There's another $1,500 for a rebuilt tranny.

Ever since that, i've been keeping up with routine maintenance, brakes, roters, oil changes, its all there.

I did send the car in the ditch the first winter I had it. Cost me $855 for new fuel lines, fuel tank, all that fun stuff. The mechanic was surprised I was able to drive it to the shop, after beingpulled out of the ditch of course.

There is a wide, shallow dent in the driver side door that someone kindly gave my car while sitting in the parking lot.

The rear suspension is nearly gone. My mom is surprised the wheels don't rub on the wheel hubs.

The brakes and roters were all replaced at 129,000 miles and won't hold up much longer.. The front tires are new as of 2 months ago, and I just replaced the front right wheel berring.

Overall, this car has been a nightmare. I blame Jim for being a horrible salesman.

I do drive this car daily and it's still got some get up and go. My mechanic said I shouldn't have any problems driving it until I move in August. My question is, should I try to sell it and waste my breath explaining the issues, or just donate the thing and be done with it? It currently has 143,000 miles.

Thanks in advance.