New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

new B w/98

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 10:16 AM

Hi, just joined today.weare the pround owner's of a 98 Merc, Sable w/140,000 miles.Replaced the tranny about 25000 miles ago.Allof a sudden the air is not cold, blows good just not cold, any suggestions?

Thank you.

Old 09-02-2007, 05:42 PM

Welcome!

Suggestions are just wild guesses, as the cause for a problem could be a million things. Well, maybe not a million, but quite a few.

If the air worked before, and now doesn't, it most like is out of freon. Since it will cost around $35 to refill it yourself (with the chance of not fixing the issue or continuously working well), I always recommend to have it checked out at a air conditioning place.

I pay $15 for a pressure check (to see if the system is leaking), that includes putting in some freon, so you will notice right away if it blows cold. $55 for a complete evacuation and refill.

1 pound of R12 costs me $12, a Grand Marquis takes about 2 pounds, so not too bad.

But if you have a leak, or other issue, they can identify it, and if you decide to spend the money afterward, well, at least it will work.

Greeting!

Old 09-02-2007, 08:26 PM

Thank s 92 Mercury, I added some freon, the compressor came on and off and cycled that way continously, will take to the shop this week, Thanks.

Old 09-02-2007, 08:35 PM

Good to hear, sounds like the system is working.

I was told that the compressor would not come on if the level of freon was below a certain level. However, when the shop does the pressure test and adds a little freon, the compressor is suppose to come on, that will tell you that it is working, At the same time, cold air should come out of the vents.

It worked on my GM, paid some $35 and it still blows cold. However, on myTaurus there was not cold air blowing anymore once the system was disconnected (had a leaking hose). On my Explorer, the compressor did not come on, was later traced to a faulty electric clutch.

So I went thru several issues myself. But at the end, it paid to have it diagnosed this way. Previously to this, I bought a kit to refill it yourself, even with a pressure gauge just to be safe. The outcome was very disappointing, white smoke (freon) blowing out the middle vents. Once diagnosed, it turned out that I had a major leak in the evaporator.

Greetings!