New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

New to the Forum, and need some info

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 01:24 PM

Hi All,

My name is Eric, and I live outside of Denver, CO. I currently own 3 old trucks of another brand (a 46, and 2 52's). I also have a 1963 Ford Falcon Convert.

I'm looking at purchasing a Mercury, and don't know alot about the car. As such, I would appreciate any information you can provide.

The car is a 1961 Mercury Meteor 600. It's a 2-door sedan, with a 292 Y-8 and a three-speed on the column. The car is said to have neverset out evenover night, and been owned by an elderly farmingcouple that used it as their weekend "go to town/church" car. I currently shows what appears to be an actual 24K original miles.

It hasn't been registered since the mid 90's but has been started and run short distances around the property on a regular basis.

Does anyone out there have any information about this car? The searches I've conducted on the internet provide a very limited amount of information.

I've found indications that it was a transitional period, and this car was most likely built by Ford and labeled as a Mercury. It appears to have been a cross between a Merc. and an Edsel.

It's straight as a whistle, with nary even a scratch. Any thoughts on what it might be worth, and whether or not it would be a desirable item to have?

Thanks in advance for your assistance, and sorry I'm so long winded.

Regards, Eric

Old 03-02-2006, 07:43 PM

Well you were "long winded" (not really) but you left out the most critical data:

How much do they want for the car??

Straight up I do not know that particular car.

However, who does NOT know the Y-8 Thunderbird engine!! Depending once again on cost, the engine alone might be worth the price of the car.

Y-8 engines are one of the best ever made by FMC. I should know: I own one. And mine is in a Ford F-350 TRUCK! You see where this is coming from? Y-8's are incredibly durable and have a bottom end that just goes forever. And the 292 is the best of them all.

I would not hesitate to buy a car with a 292 Y-8. If the car is in good shape, that's nice too.

But even a Y-8 can be overpriced. And you did not tell us the price.

For more information, drill down into the various links here:

http://members.aol.com/Yblock/YBLOCK.htm

Old 03-02-2006, 09:21 PM

d_810, Thanks for the info.

I'm fairly familiar with the Y-8's, having owned two early 60's Ford trucks. You're right, they're an awesome engine that's tough as nails.

The car I'm looking at, and requesting information on is likely priced in excess of what the engine alone is worth. It's in very good condition and as I stated, it only has 24K original miles.

I've included a link below, in case you're interested in seeing it. They aren't real good pictures, as they were taken in the barn, where it sits, and it's surrounded by junk.

I'd be curious to know your thoughts, after you see em.

http://photobucket.com/albums/e297/jed16265/