New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

Newbie 2001 GM

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 05:25 PM
Default Newbie 2001 GM

Before my dad passed away his 2001 GM was sitting at my sisters house. I said I'll drive it. The odometer is stuck at 133K and the car runs great. My teenage kids don't like it but I just laugh it off. Sway links are in issue, replaced twice, set of tires and that is it!!!! Oh, cold start fires up, hot during the day 2x's cranks right up....AC ice cold. I tell me kids I am going to MOD it out if they make fun of me....enjoy reading the posts...

Old 05-24-2020, 11:02 AM
Default 2001 Marquis

At 133,000 miles, your front suspension is probably "worn out". Your factory suspension has few, if any, grease fittings.
Trouble with the Sway-Bar Links ?? There are two (2) types -- the cheap ones are the "bolt and bushing" type, which will get the job done, but the OEM (Motorcraft) links have knuckles that wear out 'cause they have no grease fittings.
The 95 MERC has been fitted with greaseable suspension parts, with 17 grease fittings, total.
Lubed 1nce-a-year, with LUCAS X-TRA Heavy Duty Grease.
I installed MOOG #K8953 Greaseable End Links -- about 30 dollars each at RockAuto.
Also available is the MEVOTECH #MK8953 Greaseable End Links -- about 23 dollars each at RockAuto.
If ya wanna go "quick & dirty", remove the stock links altogether, and go with the "Bolt&Bushing" type -- Fits between Sway Bar "eye" and hole in Lower Control Arm.
ENERGY SUSPENSION or MEVOTECH Urethane-Bushing type is easiest and cheapest, in the long run. RockAuto has 'em.
During the course of a complete suspension rebuild/upgrade on The 95 MERC, I've found that there is NO SUBSTITUTE for a COMPUTERIZED Wheel Alignment.
Gone are the days of the old "string and chalk" alignments -- Computer-alignment accuracy is a MUST in order to preserve those expensive tires while steering clear of weaving and wandering.
Just punting here, but -- It sounds as if two or more of your ball joints are shot -- and any attempt to properly align the wheels will fail.
You say that "Mechanics are stumped." You may wanna get some new mechanics.

Classic Style -- Relaxed Comfort -- Modern Performance.

Old 05-24-2020, 07:08 PM

Kid you not, told mechanic that when I go over the rail road track it feels and sounds like something is going to pop off. He said, "stop going over RR". He said he heard nothing and thought it rode great. This second pair of links had grease fittings. I crawled under there and saw that one link popped out of socket.....Back to your point about the ball joints being bad I will look into it. I will buy the Moog links from Rock Auto. Thanks a bunch.

Old 05-25-2020, 10:22 AM

Glad to see that you found the bad end-link. New links MAY solve the "clunks" -- but the condition of the shocks/struts is a big factor in ride quality and vehicle control -- they may need replacement. A good rule-of-thumb is to replace the shocks after 50,000 miles of use.
I have had excellent success with KYB Gas-A-Just shocks on The 95 MERC, a '92 CrownVic, and also on 2 different models of Land Cruisers. The KYBs were made in Poland -- RockAuto for best prices.
While you are replacing those End Links, it would be a good time to install some Energy Suspension Greaseable Sway-Bar Bushings.
The Urethane Bushings will make the car corner much "flatter", without the sponginess and "lean" of the stock rubber bushings. Extra benefit comes from decreased tire wear.
Anyways, you can forget about off-roading in your Merc -- for off-roading, you need one of THESE:

Atop Mt. Union -- Highest point in Yavapai County, AZ.
Or one of THESE:

Desert Storm -- Near Belen, NM.

Old 05-25-2020, 02:57 PM

The Camel was made for Daytona Beach!!! Im in Orlando...Thanks for your wisdom...

Old 05-26-2020, 09:09 AM

Glad to be of help, Kevin --
Lemme know how ya make out with the Greaseable End Links.
I use and recommend LUCAS X-Tra Heavy Duty Grease. It has proven over the years to be TOUGH, under any and all conditions.
It won't wash out or freeze out , and it stays where ya put it.
Those pix of the 2 CAMELs are of a modified '74 Toyota FJ-40 and an '83 FJ-60 (Wagon).
BOTH were great beach-runners, but I don't do that stuff any more.
I built up The 95 MERC for long-distance, hi-speed touring of the deserts and mountains of the American West, and the suspension and brakes were up-graded to handle the extra demands.
Haven't been to Orlando since '97 -- too many people!! Florida was a beautiful place decades ago -- back in the '50s, we usta drive down there to hunt snakes and varmints. Time changes things. ;>)

On the Oregon beach.