Sable Discuss the Mercury Sable here...

1997 Sable Mods

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 11:06 PM

I just got a Sable and it is all stock. I was wondering what I can do to it exterior and interior wise. Please give me some ideas. Thank you.

Old 09-27-2005, 05:42 AM

if the roofing is the same as the 95, the roof paneling is strong
enough to mount switches for whatever between the window visers,

i put 3 switches in with safety covers to look kinda like an aircraft

Nitrous, electric supercharger and computer booster are what my switches do.

the 95 3literV6 with aftermarket intake system and the above mods beat
a 99 eclipse in top speed, and almost equaled it in accelleration,
without using the nitro or the supercharger!!!!!

Old 11-08-2005, 01:02 PM

don,t listen to masterx, he has a $1500 car with $10,000 worth of parts. go to "j.c. whitney.com" and put in your make, model, year ,etc. and you'll findlots of cool add ons for your merc. I don't think you,ll find an "electric supercharger" but somehow I don't think that's what you meant.stuff like window flares,bug deflectors, head and tail light tints, nose and hood bra, chrome accents, etc. is just off the top of my head so there is alot more stuffto spiff upyour sable in their catalogue. good luck.

Old 12-23-2005, 03:15 PM

I hope by now you've found some ideas for your Sable. I have a 1996 LS "Premium", with everything but the onboard cell phone and the rear spoiler. I have since added the spoiler, which really should be stock on the cars, since it really helps the rear appearance. My car has the "morphing (pearl) paint in the purple/brown-gold/grey-blue tones, with chrome starburst (stock) rims, and chrome side rub strips. It's a decidedly different look, but I love it. I'm lucky enough to have one of the few years that came with the pseudo-dual exhaust system, so one of the first things I added was some nice tip extensions that extend about 4 inches beyond the bumper, and give the car a more serious performance image, especially with the spoiler now on.

There's not much real performance stuff available for these cars, but there are opportunities to adapt from other lines such as the Taurus, late Cougar, and Contour/Mystique lines, particularily those that are Duratec equipped.

A clean and detailed engine (colored plug wires, painted/chromed brackets, hood support struts, fluid reservoir caps, etc.) really help set a car apart from the one in the next parking space.

Bottom line, as always, is how deep is your wallet, and what kind of look/performance are you looking for! I encourage small changes/reasonable cost, because the results tend to be more satisfying without overcommitting to any one style or direction. Remember, this should be your statement of what your car means to you, and it should be fun. Express yourself!

Old 12-24-2005, 05:09 AM

look up something called a bilge blower online, NOT a bilge pump!!! a bilge blower, they are 12 volt, and some come with 3 inch intake and output, put one or 2 inline on your intake pipe with a high flow filter and see a performance boost, not hotrod power but a 5-10% kick, and helps gas milage at same time!!!! couple that with a IAT sensor chip and you get a even better boost, IAT chip increases fuel per cilinder per fire cycle, and the blower pushes more air into the engine somewhat like a supercharger, but not equal to a sup....

togeather a nice little boost...., and the circular high flow filter makes the engine roar, remove the block filter, and the cone attatched to it and adapt it to a circular high flow filter.....

Old 05-02-2006, 02:47 AM

Hey masterx do you have any dyno numbers on before and after you installed the electirc supercharger? Or are you going strictly by your butt-dyno? I sure would like to know where you got your info for power gains, I mean a "little kick" to me 4 or 5 hp, which is usually pretty hard to notice, but your claiming up to 10%, on a stock vulcan w/a factory hp of 140, that would be 14hp, that... is a BIG kick as far as i'm concerned, i mean, hell, people spend hundreds to get 5-7hp, and here your doing it with a couple of blower motors, WOW!! But, about your IAT chip, all that thing does is fool your computer to thinking it has more air coming in than it actually does, therefore causing the car to run PIG-RICH. So mileage is out the door there. I'd also like to know where you got an aftermarket intake for your vulcan, as I'm unaware there were ever any other ones produced than the ones made by Jason King, formerly of TCCA. About the switching of the stock filter to a cone filter, it's been tried and tested over and over, and there were no significant performance gains to be had, but i do recommend using a K&N factory replacement, in place of the stock paper unit. All using a cone filter really does is give the vulcan a slight bit more throaty sound(a bit more mean), or what we like to call "the little growl of hope".

Old 05-02-2006, 06:39 AM

dude do you realize how old this thread is, that car is long toast, and no i didnt blow the engine, i got t-boned in the front wheel area by a *** running from the cops who ran a stop sign!Edited by: masterx

Old 05-04-2006, 03:06 AM

Masterx post a picture or you will forever billed as a compulsive liar with delusions of horsepower. And yeah, it's only been five months. I hope you removed all those thousands in aftermarket components. Especially those three nifty air craft switchs that were used to.... well you know what you wrote. Let me guess, the car was a total loss, the gay man had no insurance, and you never took a pic of one of the fastest sables ever constructed.