Sable Discuss the Mercury Sable here...

1997 sable problem- tran/ wiper blades?

Old 09-05-2008, 09:54 PM

Hello,

I own a 1997 mercury sable with 95,000km on it. About 4days ago I started the car and put it in drive and it began tojerk. I was not pressing the gas or brake and the tacometer was jumping from 800rpm to about 1750 rpm on its own. It was causing the car to jerk.

I turned off the car and turned it back on and it was perfectly fine. It happened once more that day but has not given me any problems since.

Any ideas as to what the problem is or how I can prevent it from happening again? I hope it isnt the transmission going as the car has less than 100 000km on it.

Another small problem: I drove in very heavy rain. I used the wiper blades on full speed and they were going fast then slowing down randomly for sometimes 30 seconds at a time. It was very difficult to see when they were slow.

Thanks for any responses [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]Edited by: simon_scott7

Old 09-06-2008, 07:52 PM

Do you think the tach would of jumped around in park or neutral? Maybe give the IAC (idle air control) a good cleaning. Does not sound like a trans problem to me but check the fluid and make sure it does not smell burnt. Do the wipers only do this on high speed? Let me know.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:25 PM

Yes I agree, it probably is the IAC. clean it with electrical connection cleaner. Do not clean it with anything else becasue it can harm it. It may fix it it may not, it is an easy fix if you need another one. about 10 minutes to pop in a new one.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:19 PM

Yes, I agree with Jason who just happened to agree with me. LOL!!

Old 09-08-2008, 12:33 AM

Thanks a lot for the input. I will definately try cleaning the IAC.

As for the wiper blades, it only slows down when on full speed. All other speeds seem to stay at a consistent pace. Its not a huge problem but figured it was worth mentioning if there was an easy fix.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:28 AM

Do they seem to slow down to the next lower speed? You have high, low, then delay settings, right?

Old 09-08-2008, 11:06 AM

Only full speed

Edited by: jason sereiko

Old 09-08-2008, 11:07 AM

he stated only at high speed the other speeds seems ok Edited by: jason sereiko

Old 09-08-2008, 08:58 PM

Actually you have trouble reading. The ? was when the wipers slow, (the fact that it only happens on high was already coverered in post before mine) do they reduce in speed to low or is it more like delay? Don''t worry Jay-Jay, we are handling it through PM''s. Simon_scott7 was not confused. Just you. Try and read it again, but really concentrate this time. S_s7, I apologize again.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:28 PM

The wiper speed will slow down. After a random period of time it will resume operating at full speed.

The only thing that I would call a delay is that if I put it to full speed, it sometimes does not go to full speed right away. It will operate at a slow speed and then speed up randomly.

To answer your question. Yes I do havethe three settings:delay(various speeds), hi, and low settings. I''m not positive, but it is possible that it slows down to the low settng. Edited by: simon_scott7

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1997 sable problem- tran/ wiper blades?