Sable Discuss the Mercury Sable here...

2000 Sable complete tune up

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 01:40 PM

Good day all, I am looking to tune up my 2000 Sable LS Touring, but want to buy all the parts I need from outside agencies. No need to go through the dealer if I do not have to. If anyone can Help me with a list of things I need to purchase to do a compleate tune up I would appreciate it. Thanks all...

Old 07-17-2007, 06:01 PM

for some parts try www.fordpartsnetwork.com. I would suggest fuel filter, cabin air filter (try and get one with active carbon ) this will filter smells and not just particles(dust, pollen etc...). Fram makes one which some but not all walmarts carry which i just got formy 05 sable ls. Bosch also makes one but often only the particle one is in stores. Also a pcv valve, air filter, as well as plugs and if applicable wires.
I would also suggest cleaning the mass air sensor, with electronics cleaner or maf cleaner (same stuff but labeled for maf's) Also running seafoam through the vac lines feeding all cylenders or through the air intake. Before doing this be sure the car is up to normal operating tempature otherwise the cleaning won't do near as well of a job. I did it by removing the larger vac line which enters just behind the throttle body and sucking it in through that. I removed the end of the line which enters the small black box with several vac lines going into it with a squeeze clip on it. Its located basically straight up from the steering shaft right at the under the lip of the hood. Then you slowly let it suck about 4-8 ounces of it in then if the car doesn't stall itself turn it off and let sit for 5 minuts or so. Then turn it on and let it idle for a minute or so. It will be smoking some give it a couple of quick taps of the gas pedel. Let sit for under a minute then go for a short drive. If you have a 24v dohc try to get it above 4k so it also cleanes the secondaries as well. The bottle of seafoam tells you what it cleans depending on how it is used. It can be used as I mentioned or through the gas tank, though as I mentioned is both faster, more effective and also helps catylatic converter smell as well. It can even be used in oil to clean (I have neaver found anyone recommending doing this for any car with any cleaner).