Sable Discuss the Mercury Sable here...

2002 mercury sable

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 04:52 PM

i own a 2002 sable with a 3.0 engine..since i bought it late January of this year it has a rough idle , when sitting in traffic it seems to really idle rough..the plugs and wires have been replaced the injectors and throttle body have been cleaned twice and the fuel filter and fuel caphave been replaced...it now has 63000 miles on it ... every week or 2 the mil comes and give a code that Cylinder # 2 has a misfire..does anyone have any ideas the dealership where i purchased it (it's not a FORD dealership) seem to think once the mil is off that the problem is corrected,but it's not..also the car does not comsume or leak ANY oil but i can almost swear that some times i can smell a hint of burning oil coming from the engine compartment..i have went as far as to test drive several cars of the same year, make , and model and NONE of them had these problems...can anyone help me ?????? Edited by: ugothim

Old 04-19-2005, 06:19 PM
Administrator

i had a non-ford 3 liter engine which had the same issue for a while, and it was because i had unmetered air entering behind my mass air flow sensor...which caused a lean condition...once i fixed that it went away

Old 04-19-2005, 06:28 PM

i'll check the intake hose past themass airflow sensorto see if it loose to the point where it can draw air . also i am wondering if they replaced the throttle body gasket with a new one are they cleaned it..thanks

Old 04-19-2005, 09:02 PM

you can use torx head screws and pull out the mass air flow sensor and clean it with carb cleaner. do not touch the probs though. If not i have seen valves sticking on all diffrent cylinders and just bad injectors.

Old 04-20-2005, 10:42 PM

i thout that my 94 was idleng rouph but it was the fan comming on lol...

Old 04-21-2005, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by MercAdvisor

you can use torx head screws and pull out the mass air flow sensor and clean it with carb cleaner. do not touch the probs though. If not i have seen valves sticking on all diffrent cylinders and just bad injectors.
DO NOT use carb cleaner it is too aggressive for the maf. Only use a throttle body cleaner or a non-chlorinated brake cleaner.

Old 04-21-2005, 07:56 PM

thanks..i'll try it !

Old 04-23-2005, 01:23 PM

I CLEANED THE MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR AND IT STILL IDLES ROUGH....THE LIGHT CAME ON AGAIN AND I GOT A PO302 WHICH I KNOW IS MISFIRE ON CYLINDER #2, ALSO GOT A PO316 WHICH I WAS TOLD MEANS THAT THE ENGINE SUFFERED A MISFIRE WITHIN THE FIRST 1000 REVOLUTIONS AFTER START-UP...NOW THE LITTLE DTC REFERENCE THAT THE LADY AT AUTOZONE HAD SAYS THAT IF YOU GET A DTC BETWEEN PO316 AND PO320 YOU HAVE A BAD CRANKSHAFT SENSOR..ANY COMMENTS ?

Old 04-23-2005, 03:44 PM

I can tell you codes p0317,p0318,p0319 do not exist on the sable according to the workshop manual. the p0320 is for the profile igntion pickup which is proably the crankshaft sensor on that vehicle. The recomendation in the shop manual is to check your connection at the sensor if thats ok check for arking coil wires.

Old 04-24-2005, 11:10 PM

thanks ..i will try that and let you know !

Quick Reply: 2002 mercury sable