Sable Discuss the Mercury Sable here...

93 sat for 2-3 years...need some help

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 12:18 AM
Default 93 sat for 2-3 years...need some help

I just was handed down a free 1993 Sable GS with only 85,000 miles. After jumping it she started right up. I took it for a slow drive and it was ok...little rough so I replaced the cap, rotor, plugs, wires, oil. After changing these she idles fine, but drives rough. I'm just assuming I need to check the timing. A couple other problems I'm having are.... Only the right rear window will go up and down. If I press drivers side up you can see the panel move as if it was tightening up, but it won't go done. Nothing at all with passenger front or drivers rear windows. The power door locks only lock not unlock. The interior lights do not shut off when the doors are closed (and the constant "on" switch on the dimmer is off). Any help to speed up the process of getting the car back into shape would be appreciated.
Thanks!!

Old 06-27-2009, 05:50 AM

sounds like some things may need to be cleaned. maybe that window is bound up since it seems the motor is okay. spray a bunch of WD-49 into the door latch catches (in the door) to get rid of the int. light prob. That is what worked for my Sable and alot of others I know of. Just re-lube it a little after. if it idles good and runs rough, it could be alot of things. good start w/the ing. stuff. Maybe check the TPS. Is the CEL on? the doors won't unlock from any swtch? let us know.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:41 AM

The unlock worked twice so far from hitting the button about 100 times. the lock seems to be working a little more. I took apart the drivers side window control/lock control assemby and cleaned the contacts (which appeared to be clean). Still no better. I wonder if I just need to buy a whole new control unit for the door? I'll spray down the inside of the lock assembly today. I'm going to check the timing also. I'm thinking its just running a little rough now since I changed everything at the same time. Thanks for the help and any other input. Remarkably the AC is ICE cold!

Old 07-09-2009, 01:27 AM

I replaced the the window switches on the drivers and passengers door and they work perfectly now along with the locks. the engine still just doesn't sound right. When driving it pulsates and just doesn't feel right either. Timing is dead on 10 BTDC (with spout disconnected). I'm wondering if I might actually have a wire run wrong somewhere? No CEL on. And the light does work.