Sable Discuss the Mercury Sable here...

96 Sable 3,0 duratec, water pump and alt

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 12:14 AM

I bought a 94 Mercury Sable and got it today. Was told by the seller he believed the alternator was going out. I see that it is buried and could get a little hairy for a back yard mechanic. Then before the day is out and after driving it about 20 miles or so the low coolant light comes on. I get out and check it it looks to be leaking coolant out of the water pump area. Is this a job I should even attempt to tackle? Or if i take it to a shop does anybody have a ball park figure of how much these repairs will cost? I have the notion to take it back to the seller and demand my money back. Other wise the car is in pristine condition, it is a beautiful blue and I love everything else about it. I hope to be able to fix and keep it but have no idea of the extent of labor I'm looking at or cost of the shop doing it for me. Thanks in advance for any advise.
< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" ="text/">
</>
< ="text/">
_uacct = "UA-939292-45";
urchinTracker();
</>
Edited by: rstrunk

Old 02-21-2008, 02:17 PM

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>
The water pump is not to much. I replaced mine myself and don't quote me, but it was about $40.00 depending on how much you want to spend. This one was a rebuild and works fine. It was recommened because the fins can wear out and cause other problems.
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-45";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 02-22-2008, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by sinned1
&lt; src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/&gt;

The water pump is not to much. I replaced mine myself and don't quote me, but it was about $40.00 depending on how much you want to spend. This one was a rebuild and works fine. It was recommened because the fins can wear out and cause other problems.
&lt; =text/&gt;
_uacct = "UA-939292-45";
urchinTracker();
OK, Thanks. I didn't mean to post this topic twice. I posted it then it said my post failed so I hit the back button and reposted then when I checked the forum, there were both threads. I couldn't find a way to delete one. Anyway, I appreciate the advice. I decided to take it to a reputable shop and they are replacing the alternator, water pump and serpentine belt for between $600 - $700. I know it's a little pricey but as long as it's done right I'll have my piece of mind.< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" ="text/">
</>
< ="text/">
_uacct = "UA-939292-45";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 02-22-2008, 12:45 PM

Did you already bring it to the shop?

Old 02-22-2008, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by conan312
Did you already bring it to the shop?
Yes, it's in the shop and is supposed to be done on Monday. They found a couple other things that need fixed and will fix those too. The other stuff includes a new "pig tail" wire that goes to the alternator because at some point someone rigged it and it was messed up. = $15. While they were taking off the crank pulley it was stuck on there and wouldn't come off and it broke. = $83. The one that got me and the mechanic as well as far as price anyway, is there is a hose/pipe that connects the bottom of the water pump to the radiator. This is made of metal and has a rubber hose crimped on it. His parts supplier said it's $183 OUCH! But it was so rusted out that if I didn't get it replaced I would probably be back in the shop in the near future to get it replace when coolant started leaking anyway. The parts supplier said this appears to be a common problem with these cars because he gets orders constantly and had MANY in stock.< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" ="text/">
</>

Anyway, our at one time, $700 bill will now be $1055. I have read lots of reviews on the net about these Mercury Sables and water pumps seem to be their achilles heal.

Any of you out there have any other advice on maybe things that commonly go wrong with these cars so i can tend to it before it goes bad, would be appreciated.

< ="text/">
_uacct = "UA-939292-45";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 03-02-2008, 10:02 AM

I just started to cry for so many reasons.LOL!

Old 03-04-2008, 11:59 PM

Just took it on a n 800 mile round trip this past weekend and it held up nicely. It needs a tune up and I intend to tackle that this weekend. It looks like the whole upper intake must come off for the back plugs. This will be a job.