Sable Discuss the Mercury Sable here...

97 Sable belt constantly loosening and chirping.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 07:35 PM
Default 97 Sable belt constantly loosening and chirping.

Ok. I've put a ton of work into this and now it's time to ask the people.

Bought the car almost 3 years ago. after a couple months it started chirping on the belt side. Checked the belt. It was fine. Let it go for a while. This year it started getting worse so I decided to change the belt. It was fine for a month then started again. got worse quick this time. I figured it was because I bought the cheap NAPA belt. So then I did routine oil change/filter/pcv etc maintenance and right when I finished I got the CEL. Pulled the P0304 which is Cam sync snsor. Went to replace sensor, whole sync assembly is trashed. I replaced assembly and put on a new motorcraft belt. No more CEL ran perfect for a month then the chirping started again. Now...

I know it was coincidence that the sync went bad around the same time because the whole time the chirp was on the belt side so I know it's most likely the tensioner, Idler, power steering or A/C pulley. Plus I didnt get a CEL until 3-4 months ago.

The chirping gets worse upon acceleration.
When I take the belt off and start the engine the noise is gone.
When I check the tensioner marks it never seems to read as tight even with new belt. (I had one go out on my 96 ranger last year too)
My A/C seems to stay on even when I use just the fan (sometimes) I noticed that this summer.
I used a drumstick as a stethascope all over and get nothing.
When I take the belt off and spin the pulleys by hand the power steering pully does make a very slight squeek.

I am basically sick of taking the belts off and am hoping for insght as to which pulley it may be. I'm thinking either the tensioner or the power steering. But the a/c thing is weird too. Only 92000 on this car. Thx

Old 11-09-2009, 08:30 PM

sounds like the tensioner is getting weak (though this is weird in my mind since the pulley usually goes before the spring does). If this is the case, the belt could be slipping on the power steering pulley or the alternator (probably the latter) to make the obnoxious squeak.

since the belt isn't very tight any more, I'd suspect the tensioner before the power steering pump.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:18 AM

X2 on a tensioner.. DO you happen to have the DOHC Duratec engine?? There were service bulletins about just this.. Basically saying inspect & replace the belt and tensioner..

AS far as your A/C the fans run when the a/c is on generally, especuially in hot weather.. They operate not only from the engine temp, but also the pressure in the A/C system.. THe a/c will run in any of the a/c modes, and defrost modes....

Old 11-10-2009, 10:07 AM

Thanks for the replies. It's a vulcan engine. On another site I got some info. Going to try it today. I'll post the results.

Old 11-21-2009, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by slymer
sounds like the tensioner is getting weak (though this is weird in my mind since the pulley usually goes before the spring does). If this is the case, the belt could be slipping on the power steering pulley or the alternator (probably the latter) to make the obnoxious squeak.

since the belt isn't very tight any more, I'd suspect the tensioner before the power steering pump.
i plead the fifth

Old 11-28-2009, 05:58 PM
Talking

Ok! It ended up being the tensioner. The spring was just worn out. So... After changing the cam sync assembly, the sensor and the belt, the next step is either the tensioner and/or idler pulley. Thanks to everyone for their help on this! Happy holidays!