Sable Discuss the Mercury Sable here...

97 sable trunk lock

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Default 97 sable trunk lock

Hey all, just wondering if anyone knows if the trunk lock is supposed to have a separate key to unlock it. i only have the ignition key and it doesnt unlock the trunk. i had a 97 tauris wagon with the same issue. no key to unlock the trunk. in my sable there is only the electric lock button in the dash for the trunk, and if i have problems where i have no power i cant even get into the trunk. so does anyone know if there is supposed to be a separate key for the trunk. seems to me if there isnt a key for the trunk why would they have the key slot on the outside. this may seem like a dumb question but i am asking because i callled the ford dealer and they told me that there is no key for the trunk. so i dont know what to think. looking for the right answer from you experts

Old 07-08-2009, 06:04 PM

if the key slots into the lock, it should work. if it won't slot in, then there should be another key. if it does slot in and doesn't work, that means that the lock on the trunk is damaged or has something stuck in it and may need to be hosed out with some PB Blaster or other penetrating lubricant. if that doesn't work, you'll need to replace it with one keyed to the key you have. If it needs a different type of key, you may have to take it to a locksmith to get a proper key made.