Sable Discuss the Mercury Sable here...

98 Ls, Elec Sys Dies on start attempt?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 12:53 PM

Hi, new to the board here. I have a 98 Sable LS with the Duratec, just got it a couple months ago. Batter was dead when I went to start it the other day so I got a new battery to put in it. When I put the new battery in it the horn started honking and all that, got it to go off with the red button on the key fob. Now when I turn the key to the initial spot the dash lights up, fuel pump comes on and everything seems normal. When you turn the key to engage the starter it all shuts down like someone pulled the plug. I''ve checked the connections and what not and everything seems good. If you disconnect and reconnect the battery you can get it to do the same thing again and again. When it does that nothing works, not the panic button, door locks, trunk, or anything. Is it something to do with the security system as I am not real familiar with this system and how it functions etc.? Someone told me it was a loose wire relating to the starter or such. The wierd thing is, previous to the battery going dead the thing worked just fine. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Butch

Old 12-16-2008, 03:03 PM

its'' the battery clamps. they''re loose. take them off, clean them up real good with a battery terminal cleaner or small wire brush. put them back on good and tight and make sure the wires are clamped good into the terminals if they''re aftermarket terminals (not moving is not good enough, make sure the bolts holding the clamp strap down are good and tight). also make sure that the wires are all snug on the alternator. if there are any bolt on connections to the alternator, make sure they''re tight as well. (you will want to do that with the negative terminal disconnected from the battery to avoid any shorts)

if you can jump the car off, then it''s not the starter. if you can''t jump the car off, it may be the starter. but I''m pretty sure it''s the loose wires bit.