Sable Discuss the Mercury Sable here...

Cam Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 09:32 PM

Okay, soo, i hate my car.. let me say that first.. lol, its a 1998 Sable, just the standard model, anyways, its been my nightmare, it overheated last year, had to replace the heads, etc etc. it hasnt really been great since, about a month ago the check engine light came on, but there was no performance issues, except that the think thinks it deserves the top quality gas.. knocks and pings especially when low on fuel.
anyway, the last 2 weeks the car sputters i guess you can say while driving, the check engine light would stay on, but sometimes it would actually go off. It was worse then when the AC was on.
During the last week the sputter as a little more noticeable especially when accelearating or when letting off the gas, the check engine light started going of, then coming on, the flashing.. So i gave up and took it in tonight to have the engine light checked out, they said it popped 2 codes, one for the spark plugs and one for the cam sensor.
My question i guess is this, i have NO clue.. i can change the spark plugs.. cheap fix for that problem, but i can not afford to replace the cam sensor right now.
What exactly is this thing gonna do if not replaced? and what would the general cost be? I think i remember this in my old Buick and it was around 500.00 or so.. GRRRRR, any help would be great.
Thanks!