Sable Discuss the Mercury Sable here...

Check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 10:56 PM

I have a 97 sohc that the check engine light stays on constantly. I had Auto Zone read it and it shows to be the catalytic converter is bad. I checked into it and was told I needed to replace them. Both banks are showing bad. Other than the converter are there any of you that have had the same problem such as an O2 sensor or something else? I was told by the same mechanic I was looking at $500 or so for the replacement. Thanks

Old 09-05-2007, 11:48 AM

If it was emission/smog failure, I would personally deal with the check engine light ratherthan the replacement cost.Especially if you have a Sablew/dual exhaust like mine. If the coverter failed structurally, you will need to replace it (or them) because the honeycomb looking internals will usually clog the exhaust pipewhich can lead tomassive power loss, exhaustbackdraft, maybe even engine damage if a total clog goes totally unattended. If you'reeco-ozone worrysome, than replace. If not, you could always hollow them out like I did to mine. NOT RECCOMENDED!!!! Illegal and loss of back-pressuremay occur.Good luck! Let me know. Edited by: conan312

Old 09-11-2007, 09:37 PM

I have not had a noticible loss of power or gas mileage. Is it possible that the O2 sensor may be bad or do I need a shop to check the problem? I contacted one and for the test they said it would be 89 dollars is this reasonable? Thanks

Old 09-12-2007, 10:32 AM

$89.00 BUCKS! Usually they charge one hr. labor (maybe $10.00 cheaper)or have a seperatediagnosis fee to pull codes from the computer. If Auto Zone already did it then I would go with their word. They would much rather sell a converter than an O2 sensor.($$$$$) Try this. Unplug your neg. battery terminal for 5 or 10 minutes which will reset your computer.Then see ifand when the check engine light comes back on. You could also go under the car and gently tap on the converter (not the heat shield) andlisten carefully foranything rattling inside. O2 sensors are good to change anyway,if you know they are old ormaybe evenoriginal. Improves gas mileage, and easy to do. Let me know.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:55 PM

Thanks for responding to my follow up. I need some more advice if possible. First of all I have tried removing the battery cable and this will clear the light for about 10 minutes then it comes back in. Second, not being familiar with this model, where is the O2 sensor located and much will it set me back. As far as the diagnosis fee to pullthe codes from the computer can this be done at Auto Zone or at a garage. Thanks

Old 09-13-2007, 08:25 AM

Thus certain places can read out the codes (for free), they do not have access to de-coding them.

Many codes are generic and giving just a general output, only the dealers (or someone who has access to the detailed code's) can tell you what is wrong in detail.

You experienced it yourself. The code says "catalytic converter" is bad. Well, think about it. The catalytic converter does not have a sensor. Instead, the sensors are at the O2 sensors, intake, air flow meter etc. etc.

So if the code says "catalytic converter", it means that something in the system is wrong, it can not be pinpointed to a specific item with a sensor,it could be the catalytic converter.

If you post the code, I can check my manual and see if I can get you more details. There are hundreds of codes in it.

Below are the 2 diagrams with the locations of emission related components:

[img]uploads/92Mercury/SOHCEM1.JPG[/img]

[img]uploads/92Mercury/SOHCEM2.JPG[/img]

Greetings!

Old 09-13-2007, 11:08 PM

Thanks for the info. I will have a reputable mechanic decode it and get back to you. Thanks

Old 09-15-2007, 05:14 AM

I had a series of emissions-related check engine codes come up with my Tracer this year. It seemed like when one part was replaced, the next related part in the line would start failing, which made it a syndrome where everything had to be checked on eventually.

I ended up getting almost every EGR-related part replaced but I was lucky because my husband and a personal mechanic I hire who does work out of his home took care of it for me.

After I hadALLvacuum lines replaced (the originals were rotting), I have not had a check enginelightpop up since.

Do you have someone clear the engine light for you to see if comes back as the same problem? If it does, I don't think you can ignore the repetition. The 02 sensor failure code is pretty specific, so I don't think it would be a guessing game.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:30 PM

I checked with auto zone and they coded it as a O2 sensor. There are 2 on mine one at the exhaust and the other closer to the convertor. He said the first could fail and taint he second one. I'm going to change the 1st one and see if that clears my light. I will keep you posted.