Sable Discuss the Mercury Sable here...

Help - Stalls at Idle

Old 07-10-2008, 09:14 PM

It''s spooky.

Car runs great, then when I idle for a few minutes it begins to stall.

Check engine light has been coming on.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:51 PM

if the light flashes, then the car is misfireing. it probably is a bad coil

Old 07-23-2008, 12:21 PM

Could very easyily be the idle air control. If it is intermittant and runs good cold for abit, then it''s not a coil prob. Try to clean the gunk out of the IAC valve and motor. Let me know if you have more specific info.Edited by: conan312

Old 07-23-2008, 04:25 PM

Thanks guys, but the problem was fixed a couple of days after my post. I was hoping to avoid spending a lot of money on it but it''''s my daily drivers so I took it to a mechanic.

It turned out to be a bad vacuum line. It starts under the intake manifold just behind the throttle plate and runs over to another location on the intake manifold. The mechanic said that the Ford truck engines have the same problem with a hose that goes bad, but the problem is you can''''t even see it under there. Itís sort of irritating because you could see Ford engineering the location and the design of the part so that 99.9% had to take to a dealership to get it fixed.
The hose was $35 from Ford dealership plus an hours worth of labor = $120 total. This is something I could have easily fixed myself but no matter how hard I looked I couldnít find the hose, and I wasnít willing to disassemble half the engine to find it.

Does anyone know how to get a hold of the emission and vacuum systems manuals? That was part of the problem because I looked over the FMC manuals I had but they didnít really cover those areas very well.Edited by: nrlanni