Sable Discuss the Mercury Sable here...

how to I access the right rear strut tower top

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 06:55 PM
Default how to I access the right rear strut tower top

2002 Sabel, How do I gain access to the right rear strut tower to inspect the top and remove it? How do I remove the strut/ spring assembly?

Old 03-19-2009, 09:11 PM

you will either need spring clamps or a complete strut compressor (rather large rig) to remove the strut. Access to the top nut should be in the trunk behind the carpet near the hinges for a sedan and under the paneling right behind the rear seat on either side for a wagon. you will need to be able to get a wrench on the strut to keep it from turning while you turn the nut (they make special tools for this). Without the spring clamps, the released pressure from the spring can cause serious injury and/or death. it is NOT something to take lightly. I always advise those thinking of doing struts themselves, to let professionals do it unless they have experience and know how to use and have the right tools.

plus, it requires taking apart most of the suspension to get the strut out.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:07 AM

Remove the back of the back seat, and I think there is a trim piece that has to come off as well... There should be three nuts holding the entire assembly to the car.. Not very pleasant to get to at all.. TO get the strut/spring assembly out you'll want to have the car lifted with both back wheels hanging, (no weight on the suspension)..
DIsconnect I think the sway bar, and a through bolt on top of the spindle.. Curse at it alot as you remove the strut from the spindle..

At this point you'll need the spring compressor and heed what Slymer said about the danger.. IF you are not very mechanical I would either enlist the help of a buddy that is, or take it to a shop.. These things are a bugger to get apart and together...