Sable Discuss the Mercury Sable here...

Intermittent starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 08:56 PM

I need some help!

I have a 2001 Sable with 82,000 miles on it. It runs great, smooth and looks great too.

The problem is that when I have driven the car and the temperature and humidity are up, I sometimes have a problem starting the car. I have no problem when the temperature is cooler. When I try to start the car, I get nothing. No attempt to crank,nothing. Sometimes it will start in neutral, but not park. All of the electrical items work, lights, radio, etc.

The starter has been rebuilt, there is a new starter solenoid, new neutral safety switch and a new relay. My local mechanic doesn’t have a clue and the local dealer, after three days with no diagnostic error codes showing up, re-did the computer, but yet I still have the problem.
When it doesn’t start, I open the hood, the car cools off and it will start. Most times in neutral.

I’m looking for any ideas and/or suggestions.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:49 AM

Sounds like the tranny shifting linkage is a tiny bitoff. Or maybe the brake switch, that doesn't allow it to shift out of park until you step on the brake pedal is defective. ( neutral starts?) Whatever it isseems to be worsened by temperature.Let me know.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:00 AM

If it was carburetored, I would say fuel evaporation LOL

Seriously, I had the issue that my Taurus wouldn't start many times, except in neutral. Had nothing to do with temperature/moisture, but since you said sometimes, it might just be a coincidence.

After 1 year we found the cause by accident. I started the car with the hood open, my buddy saw a huge spark and we started investigating.

What happened was that when the starter was replaced (to which one of the main battery wires connect to), the screws might not have been tightened correctly, they were loose. Also, the ground cable connected to the transmission was all corroded, we took it off, cleaned it and everything works fine now.

I asked a Bosch mechanic (electrician) and he confirmed that most likely, due to a faulty ground, no circuit was closed correctly, so the car didn't start. However, by putting it into neutral, somehow power found it's flow somewhere, enough to start the car.

I had the exactly same issue on a stick, very often it would only start when in reverse, the ground was found since the circuit to the backup lights was closed. Wont work an automatic of course.

Greetings!