Sable Discuss the Mercury Sable here...

new 92 sable

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 08:52 PM

I just got my Grandparents 92 Sable. It's a cream puff, always in a garage. It has 36+k on it with the 3.0, auto, maroon ext & interior. The drivers floor mat shows a little wear, but besides that it is fresh off the dealer lot.

The car was serviced by my father, and was driven regularly, just not far. I drove it home and checked it our and the engine bay I could eat off of. The AC is weak so I'm thinking I'll need to replace the o-rings and get it charge. The struts "seem" fine and the tranny is strong along with the engine.
What should I be worried about? What are the comman areas of issues?
I have a 93 corolla with 193k serviced by me regularly. I'm comfortable wrenching on my cars but I've been in a corolla for 13yrs it's uncomfortable starting over with a car I don't know much about.
Thanks for all your help
Lance

Old 06-03-2006, 01:07 AM

Belts, hoses, and anything rubber. Flat spots on the tires or dry cracking. Flush the coolant system and make sure the a/c unit uses R-132, if not you'll need to convert. (kits are cheap and easy) Different pag oil,neoprene o-ringsan orafice tube, and the can ofR-132 I think.

Old 06-05-2006, 12:01 PM

conan,

Thanks for the reply. Even though the rubber looks good nothing is trustworthy. So replacement is scheduled.

I have been looking into the AC and have a ford loyalist friend who mentioned that the R-132 doesn't cool and well as Freon but of is very $$ and difficult to get. He has the tools to service the AC system (some type of tool to extract the orings). His reasoning was the sable was designed to cool with Freon and the newer cars have larger condensers and such to compensate for the R-132. This was his reasoning for trying to get Freon once I replace the orings and anything else that needs replaced.

Even though I'm not in the south here in <st1:State w:st="on"><st1lace w:st="on">Ohio</st1lace></st1:State> we have humidity and a weak AC system will not cut it.

So is he just being super technical or will a normal person notice that the R-132 is sub-par replacement for a system use to Freon?

Old 06-06-2006, 03:11 AM

well to be frank, freon is and has been illegal to sell for years. I don't how he'll get it. R-132 works just fine. I have a 1997 Sable that uses R-132 and it has never been charged yet. 10 years. blows ice cold. it will work just fine for you.Edited by: conan312

Old 06-06-2006, 10:10 AM

Oh, I hadn't made it that far to realize it's illegal and that just shows that my contact has been out of the garage awhile and sitting behind a desk for Ford.

Thanks for the heads up and the assurance that R-132 will blow cold.

This board/the people on the board bring the value to it.

Thanks again.

Lance