Sable Discuss the Mercury Sable here...

pressurized coolant

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 03:49 PM

hello, i am wondering about my coolant system in my 99 sable 3.0 12v autotrans. the upper radiator hose when the system is hot is extremly pressurized so much that i worry it might burst. also no heat comes from heater inside cabin.

also on a lighter note i was wondering if my car has a cabin airfilter. my defroster/heater vents seem to be barely putting out any force even though i can hear the blower working fine and it sounds like it is pushing out more then what comes out of vents.

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" ="text/"></>< ="text/">_uacct = "UA-939292-45";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 02-16-2008, 09:20 PM

You may dealing with a severly neglected cooling system. When was the last time it was flushed? Is that upper hose original? Do you get more air from switching to different heat settings?(vent heater defroster etc)Feel the two heater hoses that enter the pass. side firewall for heat. If your coolant is brown and smells nasty I think we have severe radiator and heater core corrosion. Let me know.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:38 PM

coolant is clean but, i have to have the cap on reseviore tank slightly open to releave pressure or i fear a hose will explode. hoses are not bad or they would have exploded already. i do have an evap fuel not running diagnostics on code reader. and it seems to be damaged since it is tied up with wire and mounting bolts area cracked. i was wondering if it is causing blowback somehow, and pressurizing the radiator. to do that, the head gasket would have to be blown just enough to not notice it in any other way. i do get an exhaust smell when i released the pressure from the radiator tank. not bad smell but more of a condenced exhaust smell. i did have misfires from bad wires and plugs several weeks ago.

thanks for the reply,

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" ="text/"></>< ="text/">_uacct = "UA-939292-45";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 02-21-2008, 02:10 PM

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>
I have fought this same problem for 2 years. I had the rediator flushed twice and back flushed the heater core. I also replaced the water pump and thermostat. I still get water out of the cap when I stop the engine, but it seems to be less since I flushed everything out. Hope this helps
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-45";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 02-22-2008, 12:41 PM

It may be a stupid ? but have you checked the thermostat? It may be stuck closed. The upper hose that seems to inflate when the engine is hot has just gotten way too hot to many times, and the rubber has become pliable. Next time the car is hot, see if ALL THE HOSES are the same temp to the touch. And what about anything on the instument panel; Re: very hot or cold reading on the temp gauge, or if no gauge, a lit up indicator light. Let me know.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:24 PM

waterpump and therm is new. how do you back flush heatercore without tearing out dash. and i have no gages for temp just dummy lights and none of them went on.temp does rise up and down with applied torque {uphill climbs/ load on motor}.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:23 PM

You will have to disconnect the hoses that are on the right side of the car at the firewall. Place a pressure hose nozzle connected to a water hose in the tubes to the heater core and turn it on high. Let this run to you get clear water and then reverse and flush from the other tube. You may have to get a radiator shop to rot the radiator also. This model radiator comes out form the bottom so I recommend you pay the piper and let them do it. Mine also flushed the heater core for me at no charge. Hopes this helps

Old 03-02-2008, 09:45 AM

Prestone makes a plastic tee that you insert into one of your heater hoses. Just cut, insert tee, and tighten the two small hose clamps (included). It hooks up to your average garden hose to flush out the heater core. Just remember to remove the engine end of the other heater hose. I'm still wondering about the temp of all hoses when the engine is at operating level.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:33 PM

</>@UNSXXX: (reply via PM didn't work):

Has the upper radiator hose been changed? I mean, is it the original one? Reason I'm asking is: I have seen people putting on other hoses, which were not designed to withstand high temperates/pressures.

I would certainly double check the thermostat. Cheaper ones (the ones with the sort of "wax" inside fail very often, especially when hot.

I had a new, a good one, put in mine at one time. It broke (the little metal tab on one side) within a few months. No heat, but hot upper radiator hose.

You should be able to take out/put back inthe thermostat without draining your fluid.

Greetings! &lt; =text/&gt; _uacct = "UA-939292-45"; urchinTracker(); </>
< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>

< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-45";
urchinTracker();
</>Edited by: 92Mercury

Old 03-10-2008, 03:45 PM

Try running it without the stat and see what happens.Let me know.

Quick Reply: pressurized coolant