Sable Discuss the Mercury Sable here...

Sable- cooling fan not stopping!

Old 01-10-2009, 08:14 PM

I have a 96 Sable, 250 K. Still running OK, but since yesterday the cooling fun is not stopping at all when I turn the ignition off (that''s not cool at all, huh? [img]smileys/smiley3.gif[/img]).

The only way to turn it off is to remove the fuse.

Q: Is there a temperature sensor, a relay or anything else that can cause this problem?

Many thanks!

PS - I don''t know if related or no but some times ago I had a quite similar trouble with the head lights (not turning off at all! [img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]), I had removed the fuse and I left them like that - I think I''m too lazy.

Anyway, thanks for any suggestion

DS

Old 01-10-2009, 08:54 PM

yes, the cooling fan will continue to run if the coolant temp sensor says it''s still hot. this is by design. you may need to have the sensor changed (it may be called a radiator fan switch). sounds like it''s shorted out.

The headlight issue is probably a bad switch as well. except this time it''s the one in the dash. either it has shorted out internally, or there is something shorting it out. OR the relays for the headlights are shorted and need to be replaced.

if you have automatic headlights, it could also be the lighting control module.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:23 AM

Had a similar problem with my Sable. Replaced rhe thermal fan switch and it was good as new. Took about 10 minutes. I believe the car has both the ther. fan switch (fan on/off) and a coolant temp sensor(gauge,dummy light), though. One thing that bothers me is neither of my two Sables had fans that would run after the car is off. Some cars are made to, but I''m not sure there should be any power to the fan motor(s) after the key is removed. Mine just stayed on while the car was running. If all fails or you want a cheap band-aid, you could run a battery switch to the interior. Though I don''t recommend it.
Edited by: conan312