Sable Discuss the Mercury Sable here...

Seafoaming a Sable?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 06:59 PM

Has anyone ever seafoamed a Sable? Did you run into any problems during or after? Did you see any improvements or benefits?

Thanks,
Sable-Owner

Old 04-14-2008, 07:39 PM

Not seafoamed a Sable.

I use a container of Techron or Redline annually in one tank of gasoline preferably on a drive that will consume the tank.Don't expect miracles for no cost. On an 87 Sable, 3.0,with 125k miles, I removed the intake manifold, removed the injectors for ultrasonic cleaning and replaced the valve cover gaskets. The injectors were flow tested before cleaning, ultrasonically cleaned, and flow tested again. Magic restoration of performance. Google WitchHunter. Cost was $100 for the service inc S&H.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

i would remove the upper intake/plenum and clean it out good with carb cleaner(B12 works best) have aa brass brush that resmbles a toothbrush to clean intake ports out also. we have had cars here go to a regular shop and get the fuel injection service that supposedly cleans fuel lines and also has stuff go thru a vacuum line. i have pulled the top part of the engine off (intake) and noticed all the carbon crap in there still. better to do it manually. when cleaning it manually, the carb cleaner gets in the engine and cleans more stuff also.since it will break down more stuff while reassembling. after put back together, car will run rough till stuff is burned out of the system. here are before and after of the ports dirty and cleaned up after what i mentioned above.
Name:  Cocoa20engine1.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  90.7 KB

Name:  Cocoadirtyintakeports.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  84.8 KB
after cleaning... ports look dark because you are looking down the intake ports going to other side... these pics are of a 1986 Grand Marquis 5.0...
Name:  Cocoacleanedports.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  88.6 KB
i soaked the plenum and brushed out what i could. i let it soak over nite and dumped out the cleaner and rinsed with water to get residue out. you will want to clean out the IAC and egr stuff and throttlebody to help also. here is the engine reassembled...
Name:  engine20completed.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  95.6 KB
Name:  Cocoa20with20CAI.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  85.5 KBEdited by: 87_Crown_Vic

Old 04-17-2008, 06:15 PM

A consideration before Seafoam and the injectors is to replace the HO2 sensors. In CA I use the dynamic biannual smogtests to determine if the engine and primary HO2 sensors are functioning properly. You may be able to buy a tailpipe test your area. If the car has more than 100k miles, replace the HO2 sensors. They are primary determinants of engine efficiency. I also use Car Chip to record Bank 1 and 2 HO2 sensor voltage and same for Long Term Fuel Trim over a 14 mile test drive at 70mph. The sensor voltage should average 0.45V. Actual was Bank 1 0.45 and Bank 2 0.42. As good as it gets.