Sable Discuss the Mercury Sable here...

Windows, Auto Headlights not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 01:44 AM

My windows and auto headlights sometimes don''t work. A ford dealer told me it needs a new computer/brain that controls these systems. They quoted around 1000 to replace it. Could this be true? And if it is, can I replace this with a used one? And where is this thing located? Thanks, Tony.
Edited by: tonysable

Old 08-19-2008, 07:57 PM

How often is "sometimes"? Check engine light, or any other warning lights?

Old 08-20-2008, 08:51 AM

The windows are erratic all of the time. They will not go up at all, and after a while they will. The auto lights don''t work at all. The car has about 85k miles on it. Other than that it drives fine and no check engine light. Thanks Conan.

Tony.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:32 AM

I don''t think the car''s computer has anything to do with the windows refusing to work. And I don''t think the problems are related. Have you checked fuses, relays, switches, etc. How are lights manually? Dimmer? And the windows will always go down but not up right away? Do you have a window lock switch on the driver''s door? What year is the car? Sorry for all the ?''s. Let me know.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:18 AM

It''''s a 2002 LS 24V V6. The windows will drive down and stop, then up and stop. This will be erratic and then work fine for a while. The manual lights work fine. The windows are the big problem. There is a locking button on the driver side for the rear windows and passenger window. I have looked at the fuses and relays and all looks good. The fuse box looks like new. I was given the impression that there is a control box that is causing this window problem. I am getting ready to buy a book and look closer. The dealer told me it''''s a controller. Thats all I know. Thanks Conan.

Tony.

Edited by: tonysable

Old 08-22-2008, 02:14 AM

I''m pretty sure you can find a schematic of the power window wiring. There are some people on the forum who know how to find and post them. I would try looking at it and see if the dealer is right about some "controller brain". The car''s age and mileage make me think that the window problem is from intermmitant power loss or a bad ground. I would start with the schematic and go from there. Wish I could be more help. Let me know.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:40 AM

Thanks Conan, I will let you know when I figure it out. It sounds to me like a ground problem as well. Tony.

Old 08-24-2008, 01:57 PM

I think conan is on to something here. he is correct about the power loss idea. sometimesnon OEMrelays get hot and stop working. this also causes the problem. the only way to test this relay is when you are having the problem. Now the question what is causing it to get hot, a generic relay or bad ground. It most likely is a ground or connection. Sometimes it is a bad relay that was made with poor insulation when it convert high volts to a lower one causing it to get hot and shut down untill it cools off and the computer resets.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:32 AM

Thanks guys I really appreciate it. I have been looking at loose connections and relays. I have removed the window lock switch and checked it for problems. I got to as many of the ground connections as I can possibly see. If things improve I will post my results. Good advice on your part. I will wait on going to the dealer with it for now. Tony.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:50 PM

One more thing. Do the windows act any better or worse by using the switches on each door instead of the master switch on the driver''s door? And how about trying the windows with or without the engine running. Or turning the key to acc. Do the windows still work for a few minutes after the engine is turned off as long as you don''t open a door like my Sable? Let me know if any of these things change the windows attitude.

Quick Reply: Windows, Auto Headlights not working