Sable Discuss the Mercury Sable here...

windshield washer pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 08:52 PM

now i need to figure out how to fix the pump, any tips on how to change it. thanks

Old 08-12-2008, 03:30 PM

a goos trick is to blow comnpressed air through the pump lines. sometimes it gets clogged. also check the nozzel to see if it is clogged.

check fuse and connection and clean out connection with electrical cleaner before changing pump. also see if you get any volts to it when to system is on. otherwise a pump does not draw anything when it is off.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:17 PM

where is the fuse for that? i only saw the relay under the hood, i not sure how to check that. the hoses are missing to the nozzles, so maybe something did clogged the hose.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:17 PM

Just check for juice at the correct points or just run a hot wire to the pump. If all fails, r&r the pump. Let me know.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:53 PM

you can not run a "hot wire". that is why ther is a relay to the pump. the relay converts the high voltage to a lower volts so it will not burn the pump. you would have to run the wire before the relay not after it.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:05 PM

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=320>
<T>
<TR vAlign=top align=left>
<TD width=320>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=320>
<T>
<TR>
<TD colSpan=4>

inspect the system:
<UL =disc>
<LI>The system has an on/off switch to control power to the single-speed wiper motor. The parking function is completed within the liftgate wiper motor and switch. Check the fuse or circuit breaker and relay if any wiper/washer system is not working.
<LI>If the wiper still does not work, trace the power flow through the system by following the electrical schematic in the service manual.
<LI>When there is an apparent electrical problem, you should begin your diagnosis by disconnecting the arms to the wiper blades from the motor as shown below. </LI>[/list]

Disconnecting the wiper linkage arms at the wiper motor.

<UL =disc>
<LI>Turn on the wiper system. If the motor runs properly, the problem is mechanical and not electrical.
<LI>If the motor doesn''t run at a particular speed or not at all, the problem is electrical. Begin the diagnosis by visually inspecting the motor, wires, connectors, and the switch. Your diagnosis should continue according to the guidelines given in the service manual. Pay attention to the circuits that could cause the problem, not the entire wiper circuit. Test for voltage at the motor in the various switch positions. Also check the ground circuit. If the motor is receiving the right amount of voltage at the various switch positions and the ground circuits are good, the problem must be the motor. Wiper motors are replaced, not repaired or rebuilt. </LI>[/list]</TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD>
<TD vAlign=top align=right width=230>

<TABLE width=195>
<T>
<TR>
<TD><LINK href="/azo_2001.css" type=text/css rel=stylesheet target="_blank">
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=180>
<T>
<TR>
<TD width=11 height=5></TD>
<TD vAlign=top width=175 height=5></TD>
<TD width=10 height=5></TD></TR>
<TR vAlign=top align=left>
<TD align=left height=92></TD>
<TD align=middle>
<TABLE width=176>
<T>
<TR>
<TD align=middle>Look for More Parts</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD align=middle>A B C D E F G H I
J K L M N O P Q R
S T U V W X Y Z </TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD>
<TD align=right height=92></TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD width=11 height=2></TD>
<TD vAlign=bottom width=175 height=2></TD>
<TD width=10 height=2></TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0>
<T>
<TR>
<TD>Related Parts:</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD></TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>
<TABLE>
<T>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top align=left width="50%">
<TABLE width="100%">
<T>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=bottom align=left width="100%"></TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD align=left width="100%">Wiper Arm</TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD>
<TD vAlign=top align=left width="50%">
<TABLE width="100%">
<T>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=bottom align=left width="100%"></TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD align=left width="100%">Wiper Blade</TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD></TR>
<TR></TR>
<TR></TR>
<TR></TR>
<TR></TR>
<TR></TR></T></TABLE></TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>

Return to top. </TD></TR></T></TABLE>

Old 08-12-2008, 11:09 PM

what ever you do don''t run a hot wire that has no relay to the motor. very very bad idea. check the volts like above in the different setting speeds. a relay cuts the volts in half or more. you should have about 4.5 for this. Not 12 volts like a hot wire will give you. the easy way is just to see if you have a bad fuse. look at all of them.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:05 AM

The hoses are MISSING to the nozzles? Did I read that right. You don''t need this forum and you don''t need Jason''s schematics. You needed to let my 91 yr. old grandmother look under your hood w/o her glasses on, and she would have seen no washer nozzle hoses. Duh. R&R means "remove and replace" for all (Jason) who don''t know.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:54 PM

who is this guy?

let people ask questions without you saying something smart about it. Not everyone is a mechanic and there was a day when you did not know that much either.

This is a rorum to ask questions and people should not be made fun of because they ask a question. Grow up, conan, let the man ask a question and let him figure out how to trouble shoot it. He is moving in the right direction, let him fix it unless you are going to do it for him.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:56 PM

my bad, it is spelled forum not rorum. conan,Please do not email me about the misspell.