Tracer Discuss the Mercury Tracer here...

No start

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 04:18 PM

I have an 1997 Tracer with a 2.0 SOHC . The other day I was driving down the E-way and it died no spit or sputter just died. This is what I have after costing to a stop. Trying to turn it over it cranked over vary fast like I had a bad timing belt. The belt is perfect; the timing marks are right on. I have fuel and pulse, I have spark although it has 2 sparks per cycle? I don’t know if that is normal, removed the valve cover to check the cam and rockers, every thing there is ok, Ran a compression check and I have 60 psi on # 4 and 30 psi on the remaining cylinders. Is this low compression normal (all the book says is it should be 75% of the highest) if so why will it not start, if not, if everything seems ok why are thy so low. Any ideas ?????[img]smileys/smiley3.gif[/img]

Old 08-16-2005, 10:26 PM

2 spark are okay, how do you know timing mark are okay? Sound like they're not, cause that low compression

Old 08-17-2005, 10:11 AM

I removed the timing belt and both pulleys and even checked the keyway in the cam and crank and reinstalled, a wet test only brought compression up by 10.

Old 08-17-2005, 02:08 PM

I'm thinking you got some cylinder head problem, maybe valve seats or bent valves or gasket. [img]smileys/smiley11.gif[/img] looks like its time for head to come off.