Villager Discuss the Mercury Villager here...

93 Villager Oil on top of head

Old 03-23-2009, 10:17 AM
Default 93 Villager Oil on top of head

OK. We have a 93 Villager. Smelled burning oil on way to work so turned around after seeing oil sitting on top of the head. Looks like it was coming out of the spark plug holes. How bad? Bad head gasket, cracked? Parked it after that a couple months ago, but finally above freezing here now and can do simple things, but nothing major to an engine. The oil stick doesn't show light colored like chocolate milk with my old truck years ago when it blew. Any suggestions to check for degree of illnes, or just take it to a tech? Thanks

Old 03-24-2009, 06:37 PM

Well I suggest finding out where the oil is coming from. I don't think it is coming from a spark plug socket. Nor do I think you have a bad head gasket. Maybe a valve cover. How much oil are we talking about? Make sure it has oil in it, then start it up and see what happens. Let me know.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

sounds to me like the valve cover gaskets are worn out and dried from sitting. if you replace them i recommend fel-pro perma dry gaskets. they are better than the cork type and they are made of a blue rubber/silicone type stuff with metal insert. usually valve cover gaskets wear out and leak oil all over everything below them.