Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

adding freon

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 10:13 PM

my air blows warm. i was told it was the evaporator coil. i was to make sure its not just low on freon. i went outside to add some, and the place you attach the freon attachment is a lot smaller on the car than the plug that you attach to the can of freon. i dont konw what up.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:58 AM

I can only assume, as you did not state what year your vehicle is.

If it is an older, and still uses R12, then the plugs wont fit. Only if it had been coverted to R134 and it had been done properly, then you have the new plugs.

Besides, if you have a trusted store and the a/c checked out, then I would go with their statement. Did you check with them to see what would happen if they were to add, lets say 1 pound of freon? Even if you have to refill it every 3 months, it would be a temporary relief.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:48 PM

sorry, its a 93 grand marquis. it has r-12. so basiclly i have to go somewhere to have it refilled?

i was also told that my evaporator coil (i think thats what its called) has blown. he said it's like a $20 piece (or a small amount) that would take like $700 to install becuase you have to take the dash out. does that sound right?

Old 05-29-2007, 10:01 PM

Yep, R12, I was told that's $62 a pound, and the MGM takes about 2 pounds. Luckily, mine has been converted to the new stuff already, $12 a pound.

Many people told me the new stuff would not be as efficient (cooling) as the old. Yet, I only had 1 pound put in, and mine is ice cold.

Sorry, don't know anything about the evaporator coil. Try the repair infos online,see picture below. I just quickly browsed thru the instructions. Thus you have to loosen the bolts which hold the dashboard in place, it sounded to me like you can get it out w/o disconnecting any wiring, they just state that you have to pull the instrument panel backwards in order to get access to it.

[img]uploads/92Mercury/0900823d801738f6.gif[/img]

Old 06-03-2007, 03:46 PM

I have a similar question. I have a 2001 Mercury Sable. The A/C is running cool not cold. I received two estimates $150-$200 to empty, dye test and recharge A/C. I could purchase a DIY 134A recharge can for $20. Is this procedure difficult to do? Would it cause any harm to system?

Thanks!

Old 06-04-2007, 08:00 AM

Well, a 2001 built vehicle uses R134A already, so you should be good with that.

The procedure is fairly easy and requiresno special skills. However, you should use a pressure gauge (many kits come with it).Cause if you overfill your A/C, something will blow, mostly the evapurator, since it's sort of fragile.

There is no harm to the system. It's simply a DIY kit, so you don't have to go to a shop.

It is certainly the cheapest way to do it. However, I would ask the shop how much they charge for a simple refill (no testing etc). I recently paid a little over $30 for a 1 pound refill, and my A/C is ice cold. It's done in a shop, they have the equipment, it did cost sort of the same as the refill kit, so seemed to be okay.

Of course, if you have a leak, you will have to recharge the system eventually. But, as long as it blows cold thru the summer months, who cares, right?

RegardsEdited by: 92Mercury