Sable Discuss the Mercury Sable here...

Only the defrost works

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 03:15 PM
Default Only the defrost works

For some reason the vent and floor and the other settings on my heater control panel quit working. The only setting that is working is the defrost. I was just wondering if that could be a fuse. just wondering if someone would have an idea what the problem could be before i pull out the panel which has the heater control and radio all together.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:20 PM

in a sense yes, it is a fuse, but it's probably a vacuum fuse (aka a check valve). This is probably the one located between the engine and the firewall that feeds the A/C system. It's accessible from under the hood. whether or not it's easily accessible is a matter of how small your hands are.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:14 AM

Hi slymer, could you tell me exactly where the vacuum fuse is under the hood please.
thank you kindly

Old 09-29-2009, 08:21 AM

Unfortunately I can't. The check valve should be near where the vacuum lines go through the firewall. Since I don't have access to a similar car or books on the subject, I can only point you in the right direction.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:04 PM

Hi slymer, I figured it out. one of the very small plastic lines that plugs in to what i am assuming is the check valve was broken and just barely hanging. fortunately there was enough line that i could push the broken piece out of the fitting and push the line in and reattach it. Isnt it something that one very small plastic line with a pinhole opening could cause so many things to quit working. By the way, would the check valve by any chance be plastic? If so then it is at the top of my firewall and has 2 or 3 lines off it. Thanks a lot once again for your help in steering me in the right direction. I now have my vents and floor vents

Old 10-02-2009, 04:10 PM

yeah... the check valve should have a round section in it (disk shaped) with connection running through the center of that part. two connections on one side and one connection on the other side. pinhole in one of those lines may affect the stability of the system, but wouldn't cause it to fail, but a broken line like you had will cause the entire system to not work since it all depends on that one connection. you can get vacuum line couplers at autozone (or other parts places) to fit the line you shoved that hard-line into and then replace the hard line with some rubber vacuum hose if you need to. If the part at the top of your firewall is just a tube with multiple connections to vacuum lines, that would be the vacuum tree. At least the problem is fixed, and if it starts up again, you know where to look first.