Sable Discuss the Mercury Sable here...

95 Sable - Can't find the tranny side of the speedometer cable

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 10:48 AM
Default 95 Sable - Can't find the tranny side of the speedometer cable

Greetings folks,
Speedometer is fluttering all over the place even when I am maintaining a somewhat constant speed, so I WD-40ed the speedometer drive shaft and the speedometer cable (the speedometer side) but it didn't do anything, so I am going to replace the speedometer cable to try to fix this in the least costly manner...

Trouble is I can't find the other end of the speedometer cable (the side that does not connect to the speedometer). Can anyone give me detailed directions or pics so I can find it?

Thanks a lot. I appreciate it highly
-B

Old 09-28-2009, 09:27 PM

I would say that the speedo cable isn't the problem but rather the speedo gear at the end of the cable in the trans. The cable should go through the firewall at some point and if you trace it to the transmission, there should be where it's mounted. It probably has one or two bolts holding the cable to the gear and removing those bolts should release the gear. I bet there's a few teeth missing. It's usually a nylon gear. It could also be a broken spring, or whatever that thing is that gives resistance to the needle so it doesn't just bounce around, in the speedo itself (I'm personally leaning towards this). This would require some intricate knowledge of the workings of the speedo to fix and most likely will require getting it rebuilt or buying another speedo.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:39 PM
Default I think I know what you mean

When I took the speedometer out to WD-40 it, I noticed that there wasn't any pressure to hold the needle in place... I will order a used speedometer...

Old 10-01-2009, 01:11 PM

I am going to the Pick-A-Part in my area. Hopefully I can grab a speedometer and the gear that you speak of. I've heard that many Fords and Sables use the same speedometer. Can you tell me which ones use the same/similar as a 1995 Mercury Sable?

Any chance someone can get me a picture/drawing of where the cable meets the tranny?

THANKS A LOT!

Old 10-01-2009, 05:40 PM

if it's your speedo that's the problem (and at this point, since you said the needle doesn't reset to zero like it should, I/m almost 100% sure that's the only problem), then the speedo gear probably isn't an issue (I've never heard of the speedo gear going on taurus/sables).

Old 10-04-2009, 07:29 AM

Slymer,
You were right! It was the speedo itself!
How do you change the odometer reading?
Thanks a lot!
Briz

Old 10-04-2009, 10:23 AM

very carefully. Generally you'll have to take the spedo apart enough to get the drive gears loose from the odometer. then just turn it until it matches up with your old odometer. be warned, don't pry anything, if it doesn't want to come loose, try another angle. I've only worked on the speedometers of my 88 MGM and 93 Vic, so I'm not at all sure about how that one works.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:07 PM

Luckily in NYS you don't have to report that the odometer is off until sale (which you mark "Odometer not accurate". I bought the car for 500 so if I ever sell it I am sure it would be an obstacle (LOL)!

Thanks again for your help it was the best 6 bucks I ever spent!

Old 10-05-2009, 03:24 PM

It's the same here in Texas as well. I figured you'd just want to keep the milage correct for your own benefit in tracking MPG and stuff. if the new speedo is behind in the numbers compared to your odometer, you could hook a variable speed drill to the cable input and just spin it until it matches. But seriously, if you don't care about keeping the odometer readings correct, just go with what you got and note the odometer incorrect when/if selling it. Usually on older cars, that's not a big issue to buyers when you also say I had to replace the speedometer that didn't work. Most people will prefer having a working dash to a broken, but accurate mileage one.