Capri Discuss the Mercury Capri here...

hard starting

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 02:41 PM
Default hard starting

I have a 93 capri non turbo I bought for my Grandaughter and am in the process of making it ready for her. I have encountered a problem. When it is damp outside or has rained the car is extremely difficult to start and has a hard time running once started. I started looking at plugs first and found one plug closest to distributor the rubber valve cover seal is leaking. I pulled a plug wire off one cylinder and the wire came apart. Needs a rotor for sure. Distributor pickup is in what condition I dont know. I can look at it and I have no idea what it should be like. I took the valve cover off and inside it isnt all that bad dirty. So I am thinking it must be an electrical starting issue. I have taken the MAF off and am not that upset about taking anything else off that may have a part in hard starting. During dry weather it starts and runs fine. Its just that I am not sure what I need to replace. Should I buy Mazda parts or ask for Capri parts . Just and expense issue question. But I need some assistance in trying to figure this out so I do it once and be done with it. Any help is most appreciated and I thank you ahead of time.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:10 AM

If you can put it in the garage or wait til after dark and it is acting up you can look for arching under the hood. Maybe even use a spray bottle and spray water on the coils, distributor, wires and plugs to see if it makes it act up.

Good Luck,
Slimbob