Cougar Discuss all years of the Mercury Cougar here...

2002 Cougar sadface

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 12:24 PM
Default 2002 Cougar sadface

I had a garage replace the engine in the 2002 V6 cougar when it was blown. They told me it wasn't worth putting a new engine in the car, put a junk one in. $5000 later I drive off.

3 days later the engine leaked. I take it back. They fix a seal between the engine and the transmission. No charge due to warranty. I drive off.

3 days later it leaks oil, same place. I take it back. They change the same said seal. I takes them 8 business days. No charge due to warranty. I drive off.

3 days later it leaks oil, same place. It also has no power when hot. I take it back. They change the same said seal, tell me they will charge me next time if it happens again, that there was a chance they nicked the seal putting it in before. They replace 3 cat converters with rebuilt cosmetic defect ones. Takes them 2 weeks. Runs great. $1200. I drive off.

3 days later it leaks oil. Same place. What do I need to tell these guys to fix instead of just replacing the seal which is at this point I am guessing, is blowing out due to high oil pressure. I have no idea what they are going to charge me this time to drop the engine again to replace the seal. I am certain it will take them ... hey, 2 weeks. I can't seem to get them to fix it.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:57 PM

sounds like the junk engine they got is exactly that... junk. if they didn't machine all gasket surfaces, no amount of sealer and seals will fix the problem. Report them to your local better business bureau for failure to honor the warranty and charging you $1200. Ask for your money back. If they won't return your money, I'd file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. (all assuming you live in the states.) For that much money, you could have gotten a rebuilt long block and had that installed and not had the issues. If they protest further about the cost of the parts, tell them they should have bought from a quality supplier instead of a junk yard to begin with and saved themselves some trouble and money.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:18 AM

Slymer is right. 5 grand? Not only could you have gotten a long block and a whole mess of new parts, you could have gotten another Cougar with low mileage. Report them ASAP. Lesson learned. The hard way unfortunatly. Personally I would call my local paper or tv station. They love exposing scum like them. I mean how much could they have paid for a 2.5L from a boneyard? Stuff like this angers me to the core. Charge you if it happens again. Are you kidding me!!! They are the idiots who keep changing the same part in hopes that it will fix the real problem.