Cougar Discuss all years of the Mercury Cougar here...

95 cougar no oil pressure...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 11:32 AM
Exclamation 95 cougar no oil pressure...

my light in my car is telling me I have no oil, but its full
I jus wanna try to find out if my oil pump is going bad, or its jus the sending unit or possibly jus the gauge is bad!
i'm hopeing for the cheapest possibly...lol...

but is there really any way to tell why the gauge is telling me that?
im jus afraid to drive it, it the pump it not working and the engine isnt gettin any oil.
the motor sounds perfectly fine, itsnt knocking or anything yet...

anyone have ant info....
plz lemme know!
thx!

Old 09-02-2009, 01:36 PM

try replacing the oil pressure sensor (just below the oil filter on the 4.6. not sure about other engines (haven't looked). Also, check the connection and wire condition. if it's not connected or the wire is broken (which can happen if you happen over some sticks in the road just right) then it'll turn the light on. Replacing the pressure sensor is pretty straight forward. unscrew old one, install new one. I don't know if thread sealer is used on that one though.

FYI: The motor will sound perfectly fine with no oil until something breaks usually.

Old 09-06-2009, 03:38 AM

I agree w/your apprehension to drive it until you are sure the oil pump is working or the screen and/or pick-up is not blocked or clogged. If it's really a gauge and not a dummy light, does it read absolute zero pressure with NO movement at all? Any recent work to the engine? Oil change? What size engine does it have and what is the mileage?

Old 09-07-2009, 02:51 PM

thx for responnding back

well i tried changing the oil b4 anything else (i drove it 2 or 3 months then parked it for like 9 months, so it sat awahile) and now my gauge is reading jus fine...
so apparently it only needed new oil and filter, but while I was changing that I found that the lil pipe that the filter screws onto is lose and it comes all the way out!.
so idk if that was causing the reading or not imma have to check the filter every once in awhile to make sure its not loose...
idk if that pipe is suppose to come out or not, but i have an oil leak apparently and now I gotta find out where its coming from, not sure if its cuz of the filter not being on tight or not bottom of engine filthy....
so hopefully i'll get that cleaned up and be able to find out whats going on...

Last edited by bittersweetiris; 09-07-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by conan312
I agree w/your apprehension to drive it until you are sure the oil pump is working or the screen and/or pick-up is not blocked or clogged. If it's really a gauge and not a dummy light, does it read absolute zero pressure with NO movement at all? Any recent work to the engine? Oil change? What size engine does it have and what is the mileage?
no the gauge moved, but most of the time it would stay low and my "check gauges" light would come on.....
I have had the car 4 yrs and have had no probs except for the egr valve (which replaced) and a lil sensor on the trans (which was replaced) cuz my speedometer was messing up...
is a v8 4.6
but now it seems to feel like its switching gears hard, im kinda not really sure but i'll hit the gas and take my foot off and it like hits hard..i havent driven in in awhile but I dont member it doing that b4.

and i just turned over 152,000 miles

Old 02-18-2014, 08:37 AM

i have a 95 also bro... will be looking for this problem in the future...