Detailing Discuss detailing your ride inside and out here...

Carpet replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 05:38 PM

I know it can be done but where?? The carpets are competly useless and disgusting. Not to mention some one decided to give us a battery one time, and got acid all over the carpet behind the passanger seat. We''ve killed the acid, lots and lots of arm and hammer. But the carpeting is toast. And so is the roof lining.

And is the ambassador paint job at Maaco worth the 200$. The hood has small rust spots from highway debris hitting it. And in several areas the top primer is peeling off.

Yes it''s a 15 year old van that just wants to rest in peace probably, but some one just can''t seem to let it go.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:53 PM

the maaco job is onlt worth it if they have people working there that take pride in their work. I have yet to see a maaco paint job myself that lasts more than 2 years. in paint, you really do get what you pay for. as for the headliner and carpet, auto upholstery places should be able to do both.

You could do the carpet yourself if you don''t mind unbolting EVERYTHING (seats and bottom trim) and removing at least the seats from the car. unbolting the bottom trim is just to give enough slack to get the carpet out from underneath it. JC Whitney has direct fit carpets available ($325 for complete coverage carpet). at least if it''s a 93 villager like I think it is. 2008 - 15 year old van = 1993 right? you can estimate how much you''re going to spend to have someone else do this by adding labor costs to that number. headliners at a good place will run about $200. if you know some good road side place, you might be able to get a decent job done for $50 (these are generally peel and re-stick jobs that will fall down again after about a year or two - the $200 jobs are usually complete removal and replace with new material). If you''re not afraid of a little painting, you could just sand out the rust and then paint over with touch-up paint (won''t look all that great unless you spend some good time color sanding it all smooth, but it''ll protect the metal from further degradation)