General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

2001 Cougar dipstck blowing trans fluid

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 11:46 AM
Default 2001 Cougar dipstck blowing trans fluid

Hello, got a wierd one here for ya-
My 2001 Mer Cougar V6 started blowing Trans fluid out the dipstick tube. Took it to my mechanic and he said I over filled it, I told him I didnt put anything into it yet he insisted I over filled it, pissed me off, time for new guy.

Nevertheless I have kitty litter all over the garage soaking up pan size spills, seems it happens most after turning the car off from what I can tell.

If you have a solution or idea about a part replacement kindly tell me where the part is located under the hood.
Thanks

Old 01-05-2011, 02:16 AM

this is my first post on this mercury fourm board, and i have an anwser for u my friend. there is a relief hose for pressure from your trans that hangs in the engine bay on the right side under your hood near the battery. If not look around... its a thicker black vacume style hose, its not supposed to be pluged, if u pluged in on something thinking that it needed it to be for vacume unplug it and let it lay free. this will fix your problem. i have a 2000 cougar and one day under the hood i seen this hose and figured that it had to go somewhere so i pluged it on to a thick screw on the battery casing...,bad idea, my car did the same thing puking tras fluid at shut down...unplug or uncrimp this hose problem solved....cheers

Old 01-06-2011, 08:48 AM

Thanks for the note- your exactly right!! My kid went off to college so I stored the Cougar and one day while preping it for the winter storage I was blowing out the dust under the hood and saw the little hose dangling. I thought I blew it off the breather or something but could not find where it went. After about an hour looking I just stuck it on that EXACT same screw you just talked about. I stored the car and 4 months later fired it up and had this problem with Trans fluid blowing out the dipstick. Of course I had completely forgot what I did 4 months earlier so I made this posting. I had no response so after searching for hours on the internet I found a guy that made a posting somewhere 8 years ago that also did the same exact thing both of us did. Even though I read it I still didnt remember at that time that I did it because 4 months had passed, so I printed off his posting, went home, popped the hood and there she be, hose on that same screw, I just couldnt believe it then I remembered doing it. I was amazed, happy as hell and felt stupid all at the same time. He said Mercury developed that hose to regulate the pressure in the trans because they were have problems in higher altitudes, I don't know if that was correct or not but sounded good. Mercury should have never did it like this, leaving that hose just flopping like that automatically makes a guy think it needs to be pluged into something, very dumb design that can cause major problems for a guy. They should have run it up through the fireway or somewhere where you don't see it. This is a great lesson for all of us on this site, a real simple mistake anyone could have made, not to mention the mess it made in my garage and driveway.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:50 AM
Default I'm glad i could help

I don't know about this dude talkin bout his little weaner, i think he;s on the wrong site , but thats funny that u plugged it on the same post...i had a feeling u might of done something of that nature...cause i was like **** i got a vacume leak better plug it...glad i could share this because im sure this has happened lots on these cars....cheers !

Old 01-10-2011, 08:56 AM

That guy is spam, just reported him.
Back to the car, ya know whats funny is the end of that flow tube actually is hooked and the way the tube lays it almost looks as if its suppose to be on that screw even tho is not,,your right, many people probably did it...