General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

bypass ac compressor

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 09:12 PM

got a dumb question, my girlfriend owns a 96 sable. the car is in great shape, but the ac comp. seized and she does not want to replace it. can i get another belt to bypass the ac, or is she stuck. it''s pushrod motor, no dohc.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:59 PM

As long as the belt, after bypassing the a/c pulley, does not place a flat belt side on a grooved pulley or the opposite (flat pulley vs. grooved belt side), it is possible. Take the serpentine belt off by releasing the pressure on the tensioner pulley. Then take a string and route it like the belt would go(minus the a/c pulley of course) and take a measurement. Go to your local parts store and tell them the length of the belt you need, don''t forget the groove count, and they will sell you a new serpentine at the new length. If it comes up a little short or long, go back and get the next length either longer or shorter. I sold auto parts for five years in a small town as a teenager and got tons of these requests. And with one serpentine belt set-ups it won''t always work. Let me know.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:31 PM

Did my PM make it back?

Old 08-26-2008, 11:26 PM

that is a good way to do the bypass.

you can also purchase a delete pulley. it is basically a pulley that goes in place of the compressor. try a search on it. they sell them for mustang v6 and v8 all over the place. they also selll them for your car.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:46 AM

If the refrigerant thing is still bugging you let me know and I will tell you how you can evacuate the system before removal.Edited by: conan312

Old 08-27-2008, 09:44 AM

yeah i am a bit concerned about the refrigerant. i have not been able to find out if it''s r12 or r134a. can i evacuate the system safely without towing it to a shop?

Old 08-27-2008, 04:14 PM

A bit concerned about the refrigerant or the environment? You won''''t be the sole destroyer of the ozone if you evacuate yourself. BUT, most garages have an evactuation machine that removes and stores it safely. That is the PROPER method. But it comes at a price, especially if you require a tow. As for type, look for a sticker on the radiator shroud. I''''m pretty sure it is R-134a. If you opt to do it yourself, there is a Schrader valve (just like the one on your tires) If you remove the valve, put on some gloves first and it will be over in 2 seconds. Pressing it to release whatever pressure is left will take a bit longer. Was the A/C cold before the compressor bit it? Let me know. Edited by: conan312

Old 08-27-2008, 11:07 PM

spray it in the air and it kills the ozone. do it the correct way.Edited by: jason sereiko

Old 08-27-2008, 11:48 PM

Jay-Jay, why can''t you just butt out of at least one post. Gotta get that post count up!! Try and concentrate and take a good look at the post again. There are some key words you might have missed like, "safely" and "PROPER" which is even capitalized in the entry just in case. Let me guess, you never removed an A/C compressor in your entire life without a refrigerant evacuator by your side. Stupid question, of course you haven''t. Caveman I apologize, there is one in every forum. Hey, you should of seen his video link that made fun of Middle Easteners, but they just removed it two day ago, plus a dozen other inappropriate ones. So just butt out Jay-Jay, okay? Caveman and I were fine w/o your input. Democratic party, you''re an idiot.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:45 PM

Dude,are you always like this?, I was just telling the guy there are ac delete pulleys incase he does not know. you can use these and still run the current belt setup. We we can not have clean fun, then i don''t know anymore. Sorry to challenge you spelling fetish you have. It was a joke dude, loosen up. It is not cool to let refrigerent in the ozone.

Quick Reply: bypass ac compressor