General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

door locks operating on their own

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 01:06 AM

1998 sable, my door locks will not stop locking and unlocking. Just bought this used, no problem until now. Shut off the car and the locks unlock and lock and I can''t get them to stop, short of disconnecting the battery. Any help please?

Old 01-15-2009, 07:50 PM

check the remote. it may be glitchy. it may also be the alarm/remote access controller in the car going batty. check the battery too. if it''s teetering on the threshold voltage for the controller, it may be causing glitches.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:53 PM

Thank you! I''ll check into that. Could it be the TR sensor? I read another thread where someone had other issues with the radio, no power steering in reverse among some of the problems,but also had locks engaging and disengaging on their own. They replaced the TR sensor and all the problems were gone. Maybe my problem too?

Old 01-16-2009, 07:25 AM

Ypur car has auto door locking when it is put in gear, right? Let me know.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:34 AM

We''veonly had the car (it''s for my daughter)for two days, but yes I believe they lock when you shift to drive.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:40 AM

One other thing is that when operating the turn signal switch for a left turn, usually you need to jiggle the handle to get the flasher to operate properly. It will sometimes do nothing or sometimes it flashes extremely fast. I don''t believe this is related to my door lock problem at all. I plan on replacing the turn signal switch. Right turns are fine every time.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:13 PM

Sounds unrelated like you said and replacing the turn signal switch should rectify that. But the locks just alternate between lock and unlock constantly? Is it all 4 doors? Edited by: conan312

Old 01-16-2009, 09:57 PM

Yep. Now the other day, my daughter reported to me thatthe battery went dead because the locks engaged and disengaged all night long. I was out of town so I couldn''t do much. Once home, I disconnected the battery and charged it up over a day. I re-connected the battery. Locks stayed quiet. Picked up a used signal switch and installed it. Unfortunately, itwill intermittantly flash twice the speed on the left turn, just like the old one. Now I''m thinking a short somewhere.

New discovery: the warning chime for leaving the keys in the ignition goes off as soon as you open the driver door even though the keys are out of the ignition. Then if i try to lock the car and close the door, the locks open right after you lock the doors. As if the key were still in the ignition... but it''s not!

Also, this is all occuring with the battery removed from the remote.

I''m thinking about returning this thing... it''s just in such good condition otherwise, I''d love to find the problem.

Thanks

Old 01-16-2009, 10:07 PM

BTW, battery voltage with car off is 12.75V

Old 01-16-2009, 10:11 PM

sounds like you got lots of shorts or open grounds. I''d claim lemon on the vehicle and take it back for repair by the seller or refund. I know, in Texas at least, that you can take the car back up to 3 days later and they have to accept it back and refund your money, no questions asked.

Quick Reply: door locks operating on their own