General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

The magic about Ford/Mercury keys

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 06:33 PM

This one only applies to keys w/o a transponder

At some point in time, you end up with 2 keys, 1 for the door locks, one for the ignition. With the additional key for the trunk, that makes 3 in total, and I don't like that. So that is what I found out how to have 1 key made for doors and ignition, for as little as $6 at ACE Hardware:

Part of the quote that came from Ford that came with the new key and ignition lock: "The selected new Ignition Lock Set will have tumbler stations 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6 pre-cut on both new keys to match the new Ignition Lock Cylinder included in the set. The remaining tumbler stations 5, 7, 8, 9 and 10 will be cut to match the existing keys for the door locks".

Aha! So if you have to replace either key (or you already have 2 different ones), you can have a key cut from the new ignition key by just adding the remaining stations. Voilą, and you are back in business.

Another hint: Only 1 side of the key is needed to be cut in order to operate, but the key would have to be inserted in the correct position of course. So if you cut the other side to match the wife's car, you have 1 key which works on 2 different cars.

I had one cut like this, fitted my Taurus SHO and Explorer. I just put a little dot on top of they key so I knew when it was up, it fitted the preferred car.

Nice, isn't it?

Greetings!