General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Milan Keys and FOBs

Old 02-17-2007, 06:09 PM

I just purchased a leftover 2006 Milan V6 Premier-Blue Pearlcoat with a Beige Leather interior.

I LOVE the car (except for the poor gas mileage), but I HATE the keys that come with the car. The transmitter is built into the head of the key, and it is quite cumbersome to use on a keychain- especially with other keys. I began to wish that I could have a separate transmitter and key like my last car.

I found an eBay seller (mykeyless) who was advertising replacement transmitters for the Milan so I considered ordering 2 knowing that you can have up to 4 remotes at the same time.

Before I ordered, I checked with the local L/M dealer and found out that replacement keys with the built in transmitter are $120, but replacement keys without the transmitter were only $30- including programming.

I ordered the transmitters for $13.95 each + S&H, and they arrived in 4 days. Programming required all 4 transmitters (the 2 original and the 2 extras) to be at hand, and even a less mechanically gifted person can do the procedure themselves in less than a minute.

Having successfully programmed the remotes, I bought the 2 new keys at $30 each + tax from the local dealer who reprogrammed all 4 keys to the car for free.

So now, the 2 bulky keys have been put away, and I am using the smaller key (about half the size) and transmitter.

NOTE- When you have th 2 original keys, dealer reprogramming is FREE. If you lose 1 of them, then the dealer charges $100 plus the keys for replacement.

Therefore, even if you are not interested in the smaller sizes of the key/transmitter, it's not a bad idea to have the spares- just in case you lose one.

If you need help learning how to program a Mercury Milan key, contact me because it's also very easy.

NET COST FOR 2 KEYS AND TRANSMITTERS---$98
Edited by: actraveler