General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

mercury doesnt do a thing

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2024, 01:59 PM
Default mercury doesnt do a thing

So I posted the other day in the new member forum about a sporadic stalling issue I'm having with a 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis but I haven't gotten any input on that. Today, my wife tried to go to work but the engine wouldn't turn over. All the normal sounds and lights came on when the key was in. The engine cranked, but it just couldn't start. There wasn't any clicking, the engine was trying, it just wouldn't turn over. I drove her to work in my car and wondered if the battery power was low so I came home and hooked up my jeep battery to hers and went inside for 30 minutes. When I came outside It seemed like there was a very faint smell of some kind of something burnt in the air but I couldn't sniff it out anywhere when I looked for it.
I tried to start it and it wouldn't turn over. I took the battery to AA Parts for confirmation it wasn't the battery. They said the battery is charged and no signs of anything wrong.

So I came home and reinstalled it. Thinking I was intelligent, I turned the ignition to the first position only to see if any dash lights would stay on. The usual ding ding ding sound came on, the normal dash lights came on and turned off, except for the battery light and check engine light stayed on. Then, all of a sudden, those lights turned off. I returned the key to off position and then tried to start the car. It made absolutely no sound, no clicks. The key turns freely to all positions. I disconnected and reconnected the battery hoping to undo what I just apparently did, but again, absolutely no sounds or lights coming from this car. Will someone please give me a suggestion? My other post in the new members area may provide some useful information about another stalling issue we were having.

Update: Fast clicking sounds are now coming from under the steering column and the glove box and the glove box light is flashing in sync. You can't hear them from outside the car with the doors closed. I just unhooked the negative battery cable to keep whatever is clicking from breaking, while I google and youtube my life away..

Last edited by Grandma3193; 01-08-2024 at 06:03 PM. Reason: changes to how car is acting - clicking sounds from inside