General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Mom's car eats coils

Old 11-05-2012, 08:34 AM
Default Mom's car eats coils

about two weeks ago, the secondary was open in the original ign. coil w/ 156,000 mi. Replaced coil. A week later, same thing. Tested alternator, good, replaced coil. 5 days later same thing. Replaced alternator and coil. Replaced the connector that came with the alt , but was unable to solder wires, as no soldering iron was available, only crimped them, will solder them today. Started and ran a few miles ok. Next start up, the coil failed again. Always the secondary open. Always happens with a cold motor. It starts and runs for about a second, and then the coil is open. Help. If you know where to look, please feel free to contact me at my e-mail which is [email protected] Thanks.