Mercury  Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums

Mercury Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-12/)
-   -   Where do you get gas, Where don;t you? (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-12/where-do-you-get-gas-where-don%3Bt-you-3294/)

maxfax3 09-21-2009 08:59 PM

Where do you get gas, Where don;t you?

I had a brief posting in the Grand Marquis section about gas, where I buy it and am fine, and where I will never buy it, and the issues it causes.. Just thought it woulf be nice to hear what other people have encountered in there neck of the woods.. I'm located in Central PA so I'm sure somce of these places are not in your area..

THe Good:
Unimart
BP
Mobile
Citgo - Contains no ethanol in this area
Rutters

Not bad not great
Weis Markets - No major problems, other an possibly a slight mpg drop
Giant - Same as Weis
Rutters - Same as Weis

THe bad:
Sheetz - Luck of the draw really, sometimes it's ok, otherwise anything from stalling, hard starting, pinging, bad milage
Sunoco - Really bad milage consistantly, pingng as well
Wal-Mart - Same as Sheetz

kwolfeman91 09-22-2009 06:02 AM

i agree with you all the way... in my opinion i think bp is the over all best... down here in north carolina we have marathon gas and its horrible.... worse than sheetz or walmart...

slymer 09-22-2009 11:52 AM

The Budget friendly:
Racetrack - rarely have any issues - occationally just a tad weak and no detergents so gotta run some injector cleaner once a year or so.
QuickTrip - so far so good.
Wal-Mart - same as Racetrack

The budget unfriendly:
Exxon/Mobile
Chevron
Valero
Shell

The Bad:
any mom/pop corner store - crap shoot
all the Racetrack wanna-bes

I've never seen any noticeable variance in gas mileage between vendors here in Texas unless water built up in the tank for some odd reason.

kwolfeman91 09-22-2009 11:56 AM

i have to travel quite a lot every day and when i used marathon gas which i hat i was spending about 100 dollars a week in gas... then i found out about bp gas which i love now and i spend 40 a week... and i travel alot...

slymer 09-22-2009 12:00 PM

yeah... most of my driving is around town, just to and from work.

kwolfeman91 09-22-2009 12:06 PM

yeh... well i stay with my father some because he has health problems and its a pretty good drive from his house to work and then back down there... but i am impressed on what bp gas has done to my car far as gas mileage...

maxfax3 09-23-2009 06:25 PM

I suspect the poor milage stems from the amount of ethanol and the fact that we still seem to have some stale gas floating around from last summer in the distribution network... Last fall and spring were horrid for fuel quality.. A few places you could smell how stale it was right out of the pump...

kwolfeman91 09-23-2009 09:01 PM

well its a shame how expensive it is... it should be dirt cheap...

maxfax3 09-23-2009 09:48 PM

Amen to that.. Although in some ways I'm glad the price didn't completely bottom out.. It woudl have been a good economic boost, but the vicious cycle that it is, the prices would end up skyrocketing even higher again... Plus it kas kept people's eyes open to the fact that a bit of sensable driving saves alot... Which in turn again helps keep the demand and price down.. Vicious I tell you...

85grandmarquis 09-23-2009 11:43 PM

moto mart, shell, and bp are great here in central illinois. wal-mart, citgo, and circle k you take your chances.
thortons, harper, and quik-n-ez crappy mileage, hard starting, pinging, and filter clogging.
bp and shell are my preferences.

kwolfeman91 09-24-2009 11:09 AM

i agree max fax although i would like to see gas go down to the dollar range... that would be real nice...

slymer 09-24-2009 12:37 PM

*in shaky old man voice* I remember when gas was just a dime a gallon. those were the days. With 5 bucks you could fill the ice chest and the tank and party all weekend.

kwolfeman91 09-24-2009 05:36 PM

i wish you could fill the ice chest and the tank for $5 these days id be drunk all the time and have a full tank all the time... lol...

maxfax3 09-24-2009 09:53 PM

When I started driving gas was $.97 generally but I remeber finding it for $.74 on a road trip.. I drove a Gran Torino that got 15mpg and a MustangII that got 8 on premium fuel only (and it only had a 10 gallon tank!).. Dem was good times, but short lived....

kwolfeman91 09-25-2009 11:05 AM

yeh gas was cheap then people had to start getting greedy...

95 MERC 06-09-2017 04:21 PM

GAS BUDDY is Your Friend !!

When we're in town (Phoenix), we buy our gasoline at the local Safeway supermarket, which carries Chevron gas. The quality of the Chevron is consistant, as is the fuel mileage.
Safeway has a "rewards" program that gives ten cents-per-gallon discount for every so much money you spend in the store.
We have gotten up to $1-per-gallon discount at the pump, so it's a no-brainer !!
When traveling, we use "gasbuddy.com" -- to find the gas we want at the best price in the town that we're passing through.
GAS BUDDY has saved us A TON of money on our many cross-country motor trips, and we always carry a bottle of "ISO-HEET" in case we hit some gas that has water in it.
ISO-HEET is the best gas-dryer, since it is made with ISOPROPYL Alcohol, which is THE superior water-remover. It fights the dreaded "phase separation" much better than methanol-based water-removers because Isopropyl alcohol blends with gasoline, ethanol fuels, and water.
A 20-ounce bottle of Chevron's "TECHRON" in the gas tank every 5,000 miles keeps our fuel injectors clear of gummy deposits.
At 165,000 miles, the '95 Grand Marquis runs perfectly, gives great fuel mileage, and recently passed the mandated "Smog Test" with great scores:
Hydrocarbons - Maximum Standard=220 Parts-per-million. Test results = 32 parts-per-million.
Carbon Monoxide - Maximum Standard = 1.2 % . Test results = 0.38 %
I change the Motorcraft FG-800A fuel filter once every year -- it's cheap insurance !
In any case, you'll get the "best" gasoline from stations that are always busy -- the gas doesn't stay in the underground tanks long enough to get "stale" or absorb moisture from the air inside the underground tanks.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mer...a77340fccc.jpg
95 MERC at Flaming Gorge, Utah

95 MERC 09-01-2017 04:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My wife and I travel throughout the 50 states, Canada, and Mexico.
Searching for a particular brand of gasoline is difficult, and A LOT of time and money is wasted while searching for the lowest prices.
Mexico is easy -- the government runs the show, and they control the prices and the type of fuel that's available. They only have "regular" and "premium", and the price is pretty much the same wherever you go in Mexico.
For the USA and Canada we use GASBUDDY.COM -- they know where the gas is, they know how much it costs at each station, you can compare prices , and you can plan your trip accordingly.
I look for "name" brands (Chevron, Shell, Mobil), but also seek out Valero, Sinclair, and Sunoco,if available in the area.

An important factor when traveling is getting gasoline that's "fresh", so we avoid buying gas in small towns, where the gas may have become "stale" or contaminated with water after sitting too long in the underground tanks.
We avoid stations that are at or near the bottom of a hill, where rainwater can get in the storage tanks more easily.
Water in the gasoline can really spoil a trip, so we always carry a couple of plastic bottles of "ISO-HEET" -- which is made with ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL, not methanol, like most other brands of so-called "water removers".
ISO-HEET works better and faster than other products to make the water and gasoline emulsify and pass harmlessly through the fuel system.
Here at home in Phoenix, our gasoline contains 10% -15% ethanol, which can gum up fuel injectors, especially if it stands for a month or two. We buy our gasoline (it's Chevron-Shell) at the local Safeway Supermarket, where we save on their "Gas Rewards" program.
I keep a log of miles traveled, and gallons used (to 2 decimal places- 00.00)
We have made many trips between Phoenix, AZ and Dana Point, CA, a distance of 375 miles, and the best mileage ever recorded in our 2-ton Mercury Grand Marquis V-8 is 26.83 mpgs on Mobil 87 octane.
We once achieved 30.04 mpgs in the restored 95 MERC -- between Park City UT and Orem, UT -- using MOBIL "Regular 87 Octane" fuel.