Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

04 GM intermittent brake sticking issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 08:00 AM
Default 04 GM intermittent brake sticking issue

Looking for some diagnostic guidance.

For some time now I have felt a shudder when I brake. Happens at high speed and I can feel it at low speeds too. It gets worse the longer I'm in the car. I have replaced the front rotors and pads. 2 weeks ago i could feel the front passenger side not releasing and when I arrived at my destination, the rim was so hot I couldn't touch it. the remaining 3 rims were cool to the touch. Next morning the car drove fine and I didnt feel the brake locking up. Last weekend I flushed all the fluid from the lines (front and back) and replaced the front calipers, rails and pins. I have driven over 400 miles this week and last night, after driving 90+ miles, I could feel the brakes engaging and sometimes sticking and not releasing. Upon arrival, the Front Drivers side was super hot with passenger side and both rears cool to the touch. I'm baffled by the fact the problem has moved sides. I have also checked the brake lines (Pumped the brake a dozen times and opened the bleeder valve and did not see a pressurized release of fluid).
I would think that if there was a Master cylinder issue, I'd be having a problem on all brakes simultaneously. So I'm wondering if there is a ABS issue. Regardless, I'm looking for some suggestions to help identify / test where my issue may be. I typically drive 500-600 miles a week and don't want to get stuck alongside the highway or worse have a severe tire blowout / major brake failure.

Thanks in advance - Dean

Old 07-27-2018, 11:07 PM

It's the rubber brake hoses. Fluid comes out when you step on the pedal, such as bleeding them, because of the pressure on the fluid coming out. Brake hoses deteriorate on the inside however. The ID closes over time which will not allow the pistons in the calipers to release as they should. The result is the caliper always dragging creating heat. Warps rotors and prematurely wears pads. The only part that confuses me is where you said you cracked the bleeders and fluid didn't come out. Even when hoses collapse on the inside, they will allow fluid to come out.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:45 AM

Thank you. There is fluid that comes out, but it doesn't squirt out with pressure.

So it would make sense that as the temperature gets hotter that this would be increasingly more of an issue than when its cooler or when I first get in the car.

Old 07-28-2018, 01:18 PM

Change the brake hose at the wheel that is heating up and not releasing.

Old 08-04-2018, 02:06 PM
Default Brake Issues

First, I would replace both front brake hoses -- they're 15 years old !!
Change the fluid over to the D.O.T. 4 type -- doesn't absorb as much moisture as the D.O.T. 3 type, and will withstand more heat without boiling -- it's more fade-resistant.
You say the problem MOVED from one front wheel to another front wheel.
If that is true, your problem lies with the ABS system.-- I can't help with that.
I'm running a non-ABS system, with some modifications:
1. Eclipse brake calipers (NAPA) (front and rear)
2. ACDelco drilled and slotted rotors. (front and rear)
3. Centric brake hoses. (front and rear)
4. Motorcraft Severe Service brake pads -- SDBR678 (front) -- SD107-B (rear)
5. D.O.T. 4 Brake fluid.
System as installed on '95 Grand Marquis delivers straight, smooth stops under heavy use during mountain driving, city traffic, and long distances at high-speed.

Correct MOTORCRAFT Severe-Service brake pad part numbers for the 2003 Marquis =
Front - BRSD931A --- Rear - BRSD932

Attached Thumbnails 04 GM intermittent brake sticking issue-left-front.jpg   04 GM intermittent brake sticking issue-right-rear.jpg  

Last edited by 95 MERC; 08-04-2018 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Add content