Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

'04 Marguis engine won't turn over, all else works

Old 11-03-2012, 01:01 PM
Default '04 Marguis engine won't turn over, all else works

Hi, I'm going back to my mother's car and see if there's any loose wires on the starter or blown fuses.

Last night I drove her to a meeting and the car started like normal, all was good. Two hours later I tried to start her car and the engine wouldn't crank, didn't make a low battery clicking sound either. The auto head lights, fans, and power bells and whistles would come on but the engine just wouldn't crank.
Just for kicks we tried jump starting it but no luck, same results.
If I can't find a fuse or loose wire problem it might be ignition switch right?

Thank you for any advise.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:53 PM

I checked the wires to the starter, tapped it a few times with a hammer then checked all the fuse locations.

The fuse box under the left of steering wheel had the cover taken off. A fuse was half torn out and another was not in place. My big feet had kicked it a few times is the way it looked and when I parked the car before getting out the last time it looks like my shoe hit the 5 amp fuse to the transmission (#9?). So I used the traction fuse (#11?) to test it out and it started right up. Cost $5.50 to get a pack of fuses. One mechanic was focused on the starter when I asked him what to look for. Glad I didn't change that.