Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

1991 Mercury - best way to start out

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 11:39 AM

Haha I was freaking out because on the way home my throttle valve bushing broke, but I thought it was something else so it lost a whole bunch of power and shifted like crazy. I got home and realized oohh! That's where it goes.. XD

Old 07-18-2009, 10:47 PM

I swear we didn;t jinx you by mentioning that!!! Gld to hear you got it taken care of.. Sounds like you're well on your way to getting your beast in order!

Old 07-20-2009, 11:50 PM

Thanks! :P I'm sure its because we took it off and messed with the integrity of the original throttle valve when took off the manifold. Tomorrow we do the locks and windows, I'm so excited! I cleaned out the interior and the exterior (Doesn't do much since it stormed last night) and it looks and runs probably better then it did stock. I'll try and post some pictures! Thanks for your help guys it all seems to really be falling into place. The tires are awesome to!

Old 07-21-2009, 11:48 PM

holy crap.. today we attempted to do the locks and doors... one word: HELL. We got the driver side passenger window and lock fixed but it was literally hell. The motor was bad, the lock silinoid was bad, total extreme hell. I'll explain later when I'm not dead X_X

Old 07-22-2009, 02:25 AM

WOrking on anything in the doors just plain sucks no two ways about it!!!! I been putting off the same work myself.... No power locks, and only the driver side windows work.. Till the front driver window or the A/C quits I'm gonna avoid it!!

So with the progress you're makin wanna come fix my car when your done??? LOL

Old 07-22-2009, 10:07 AM

The horror I went through, I'll go through 3 more times!! However this time I'll document it, take pictures and I'll post a guide on here for anyone else because this is very complicated! The locking silinoid was bad, the motor was bad, and getting the motor out was hell. After doing so, I inspected the motor and the origional grease ford used for there window motors has turned into basically little rock like formations destroying the motor, not to mention the brushing were completely wet and rusted out. The driver passenger side window and all locks now work! The other windows semi work, in where I can pull them up and down but this is not good enough for me. I will continue fixing them.

Will update. And maxfax, no way!! O.O! Working on my windows is hard enough!!

~Stealthlead

Old 07-31-2009, 09:17 PM

I finally got all the upgraded motors. I went to the junkyard, got the first, and got the second driver side one. The driver side one was like hell, I had to manually pound out the rivits. Sounds impossible right?

Old 08-01-2009, 09:00 PM

you pounded them out? wow... I drilled mine out.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:54 AM

Unfortunately I've realized the nylon gear is the general problem with these. The steel gear that sits on top of the nylon one (In the power window motors) usually gets a bit eaten up under pressure thus causing the steel gear to only spin in place. I am trying to come up with a way to counter this, and if worse comes to worse it looks like many other people have had this problem and I found a bunch of them for sale online. After the windows are complete, I will do an oil and transmission fluid change.

Yea, I drilled all of mine out but when your at the junkyard, they close in 20 minutes and all you've got is a hammer, chisel and muscle, things just fall into place...

~Stealth

Old 08-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

been there before... went to junkyard and had 30 minutes to get what i needed... i ended up snagging front and rear sway bars and a couple misc. things in the short time i was there. guys at the office where you pay were surprised at how fast i got the stuff torn out.