Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

1994 Grand Marquis: Oil Filler Cap Broke, Can I Use Dipstick?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 08:32 AM
Default 1994 Grand Marquis: Oil Filler Cap Broke, Can I Use Dipstick?

Hello, everyone.

A few years ago, I purchased a used 1994 Mercury Grand Marquis from an elderly neighbor. I’ve put a lot of money and work into it, but it’s on its last legs. It’s not really worth putting any significant money into, aside from routine maintenance.

It tends to burn some oil, so I check it frequently. Two weeks ago, I was checking it, put some oil in, and replaced the oil filler cap. I heard a “snap,” and discovered my oil filler cap broke. I can’t remove it.

I had jury duty, so I was unable to bring my car to the mechanic to have it fixed.

In the meantime, I was told it is all right for me to pour some motor oil into the reservoir where the dipstick is, because the oil ends up in the same place as the rest of the oil, so I’ve done that. I’ve been using a turkey baster to put the oil in.

The problem is this: When I do this, and check the dipstick later, it does not appear to have more oil in it. The dipstick doesn’t really show an increase in oil. There has to be, since I put a quart of oil in through it.

Is it possible I'm just misreading the dipstick?

I’m obviously going to take the car to the mechanic asap, but until I am able to, how worried should I be about this? Was the advice I got about delivering the oil through the dipstick reservoir incorrect? Is removing a broken oil filler cap a serious issue?

If you need more information, please let me know. Thank you. J. Danniel

Old 04-03-2018, 12:14 PM

Your '94 Merc has TWO (2) dipsticks -- one is marked "engine oil" with yellow lettering on the handle. It indicates the oil level in your engine.
Be SURE that you have the correct dipstick !!
I've never tried adding oil through the dipstick tube, but it SEEMS like it would work.
Forget the turkey baster -- GET THE CAP REPLACED !!
The other dipstick is for the Transmission Fluid -- it is unmarked.
I spray-painted the tranny dipstick handle with a bright red paint for easy identification.

Attached Thumbnails 1994 Grand Marquis:  Oil Filler Cap Broke, Can I Use Dipstick?-95-merc-flaming-gorge.jpg