Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

1995 4.6l blown gasket

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 05:04 PM
Default 1995 4.6l blown gasket

Hi to everybody Im from Puerto Rico,Im new to this forum and I have a real nasty problem.The oil pan of my engine is with water.I think is a blown gasket but I read in a book that the car have TTY bolts and that have to replace them.Is that true and I wonder if is better buy an other engine or replace the gasket because is not like the old V8 engines with the camshaft in the middle of the engine this engine is SOHC so is a lot difficult.Is not a make it yourselt thing.My car is not new but is the best car I ever have because is big is not like have a Mazda or Toyota piece of crap and really I dont want it to waste.Any help or suggestion at all is well appreciated.Thank you very much

Attached Thumbnails 1995 4.6l blown gasket-monchos-car.jpg  
Old 05-31-2009, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

need to figure out how the water got in the oil pan. might be because of bad intake or blown head gasket on the car. if it is head gasket, might as well have timing chains replaced.

see which is cheaper for repair or engine replacement.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:55 PM

Hi there... You engine does have the torque to yeild bolts which means you do have to replace them.. Does you car overheat or run rough? There are 3 places where you car could get water in the oil.. A leaking head gasket is one (and probably the most likely), the other woudl be the engine oil cooler, and the third woudl be the gasket that goes between the engine block and the glange for the oil filter and lower radiator hose..
The intake manifold cannot leak coolant into the oil on the 4.6 ...Unless your car is a heavy duty model like a police car or taxi, it will not have the oil cooler..

How many miles are on your car, and has it evern been run hot? How long has it been run with coolant in the oil? It is possible that it could be cheaper and better to find another engine and replace the whole thing pending on the answers to the above questions..

It's not actually terribly difficult to replace the head gasket on these engines, but the gaskets and bolts are a bit pricey.. And yes It would be a good idea to replace the timing chains and tensioners while you have it apart.... Also, if the head is warped or cracked (cracks are rare but possible) you would have additional costs in repairing or replacing the cylinder head...

Old 06-01-2009, 08:43 PM

My car is a 1992 Marquis with a 1995 engine on it so I really dont know the mileage of the engine because I buy it like that but I will try to explain in details what happen.The car was working perfect but it start to shake like when the spark plugs are gone.I check the cables and there were two cables with corrotion(not one year since i bought them) so I buy new cables.I instaled them,run the car,and noticed that the temp was in the middle(thats a new on my car)so I flush the radiator,install new spark plugs add coolant and run the car,and the car with the same shaking and the temp get in the middle again so I check the cooland reservior and there was no coolant at all so I add 1 gallon of water,2 gallon of water and I thought there is something wrong because is to much water and when I check the oil there was the water mixed with the oil.What is strange to me is how fast the water gets in the oil pan thats why Im not sure about whats wrong with the car.I haven't use my car since that day so is not like the car run with that mixture in it.Tomorrow Im going to check the oil cooler(if I find it)and the other thing close to the oil filter.Thank you very much for your help and if you think you know whats wrong with it please let me know.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:04 PM

The oil cooler would be under the fan shroud at the bottom of the radiator.. You car may not have one though, these were only on police cars, taxis, and some heavy duty towing packages...

With the car running rough in combination with the coolant going into the oil, and running warmer than normal I would bet that you have a head gasket issue.. Not drivng it is the best thing you could do.. Antifreeze is very harsh on engine bearings.. At this point I would pull the spark plugs and see if any of them look wet or extreamely clean (like it was steam cleaned).. A compression check would verify what happened for sure, and which cylinder head gasket is blown...

If you decide to replace your head gaskets it may be a good idea to just replace both of them.. Enough of the engine will have to be torn apart to replace on head gasket that there wouldn;t be much labor involved in replacing both of them...

At this point it's hard to say whether you shoudl repair or replace your engine.. It woudl depend on whether you can find a good engine at a reasonable price.. It's rougly 12 hour of labor to replace the head gaskets, and 8 hours to replace the engine (if no parts need transfered from the old to the new) If you would need to replace a head or have them machined at least it may be mroe economical to just replace the engine.