Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

2000 Mercury Marquis Headlight Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2019, 10:33 AM
Default 2000 Mercury Marquis Headlight Assembly

I have a question about my 2000 Mercury Marquis that I purchased for my "late' mother brand new in April of 2000. Believe it or not it has less then 38k miles on it. The car is in very nice shape and is my get around car. I just upgraded the cars Headlights from 9007 Halogen bulbs to 9007 LED Bulbs this morning and haven't tried them out at night as of yet. To make a long story as short as possible. I pulled both Headlight Assemblies out of the car to do the change over although you can do the job with out taking the assemblies out. I wanted to take a better look at the Headlight assemblies being that they looked a little dirty. What I found was not on the outside of the lenses being I cleaned the outside of the headlight with a little dish detergent and a sponge. It has a film on the inside yet the headlight assemblies don't leak water inside and I never see any moisture in the assemblies. What I did see where 4 Clips that seem to be holding the outside lens to the complete assembly. I didn't want to mess with them until I found out more info about what those clips are for. Anyway looking for advice as to how I can clean up the inside lens of these lamps if anyone had success doing the same. . Hoping it is just dirt that has formed but how to get to it? The outside of the lenses are still clear as day believe it or not for a 2000 Merc that has been left outside close to 16 years in the driveway when not being used. Maybe because the back of the car always faces the Sunlight. Any ideas how to clean the inside of the Headlight Assemblies please respond with any thoughts.

Last edited by ffas23; 11-29-2019 at 12:01 AM.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:14 AM
Default LED Headlights vs. Halogen Headlights

Hello, ffas, and welcome to the Mercury Forums --
Your headlight assemblies are sealed -- BUT -- each assembly has A VENT TUBE that allows that film to build up over several years.
There's no way to open the lights for "cleaning". New, aftermarket lights are available from Amazon.com for about 140 bucks per PAIR.
I installed aftermarket lights and LED bulbs (Cougar brand, Amazon) -- BRIGHT, but focal pattern is not good -- I'm thinking about changing back to the halogen bulbs.

LED Bulb, Passenger Side -- Halogen Bulb, Driver's Side.

Old 11-27-2019, 09:23 PM

I just got done taking my 2000 Mercury Marquis for a quick ride tonight to see how the LED Bulbs are working. Right from the get go I could see a heck of a lot better but I encountered a problem right away when I went to put the High Beams on. The bulbs got slightly dimmer. I believe the manufacturer from China must of connected the wires to the Bulbs in the reverse order so that you are getting the High Beam of light in the Low beam position on the Headlight Switch and the opposite when turning the high beams on. Unbelievable but nothing surprises me today being I was in the Auto Parts Business for over 38 years now retired since 2012. Being I had no connections anymore to all of the Auto Part Warehouses I use to purchase from I purchased this set on Ebay. They are not a name brand but the price was right for 2 bulbs so I took a chance. I just got done sending the Seller on Ebay my findings using the bulbs they sent me. Hopefully this will be a smooth transaction and they send me out 2 more and a call tag for the missed wired ones. My only concern is that maybe they are all wired wrong and maybe that is the reason for the great price they are selling them for. Most people not in the know may never spot the problem especially if they had a mechanic install them during the day where he could not tell like I couldn't see a problem late this morning when I installed them. Could be the reason there are people driving around blinding you with their headlights thinking they are in the low beam position driving down the road. Who knows?

Anyway let me get back to the slight problem I have with some dirty area inside the Headlight assemblies. I don't think I need to replace both Headlight Assemblies. There is no weather damage to the outside of the Assembles. I could live with what I have I just know something is there. What I decided to do as of tonight being I am going to have to take the assemblies back out again to replace the bulbs and since only one person took the time out to write back to me in a post here since this morning is try to maneuver some Microfiber towel inside the headlight bulb assembly with some 50/50 Alcohol and water combo. I figure if I could maybe put the microfiber towel inside with one of those flexible 3 finger pickup tools like they sell at Harbor Freight I can probably see if the alcohol will clean the inside of the plastic housing where the light shines through. Now a regular Microfiber towel is not going to fit through the opening where you put the 9007 Halogen Bulbs. That is for sure but one of those thin microfiber blue towels that come in one of those cheap dollar store kits for cleaning the screen on your Cell Phone which I happen to have on hand being they work great on my cell phone and the Screen on my Double Dinn Radio Receiver I installed close to a year ago.should work without a problem. If it does once I receive the replacement bulbs I will let everyone know on this post as long as the weather cooperates with me here in the Northeast at the time.

Last edited by ffas23; 11-27-2019 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11-28-2019, 12:55 PM
Default LED Headlights

What kinda Double-Din radio didja get !??
I'm in the market for an audio system for The 95 MERC -- I'd LIKE to get an AM/FM radio that has a CD CHANGER built in, but can't find any.
Got a $150 gift card from Best Buy, but haven't gotten to their store to check it out.
That headlight problem you have sounds weird -- I'll have to check out my LEDs, just in case.
You have 9007 bulbs !?? Seems strange. The 95 MERC uses 9005 (HI beam) and 9006 (LO beam).
The 95 MERC is down, now -- installing new Intake Manifold Gasket Set, and overhauling the EGR system, too.
Taking today off -- it's Thanksgiving, and i'm giving thanks for The 95 MERC's excellent service and years of performance under grueling desert conditions.

Classic Style -- Modern Comfort

Old 11-28-2019, 11:58 PM

Almost a year ago in January of 2019 I installed a Kenwood DMX7704S Double Dinn Receiver w/CarPlay in my 2000 Mercury Marquis. I have also used the Kenwood DMX7705S which is almost the same Receiver in my daughters 2007 Mustang. I didn't want a receiver with CD/DVD Capability anymore. They are really out of date today. Digital Music is the way to go nowadays and digital video. Didn't want to buy a Double Dinn Radio with GPS in it either although at first that was my intention but with the New Apple CarPlay that came equipped in new cars in 2016 after I saw how well they work with a Apple iPhone and Apples GPS that comes equipped in their phones I didn't need GPS already built into a receiver. My intentions at first when I purchased the unit was to put it in another car that I own. I wasn't sure if I could fit it properly in my 2000 Mercury Marquis. Well to make a long story short by January being I purchased that Kenwood unit in July of 2018 half of the 1 year warranty I got with the unit from Kenwood new in the box was wasted just sitting in the box being I never got to put the unit in the other car. At that point I figured why not install it in my Mercury Marquis and see if I could get it to fit because everything I read online said I *** could not fit*** that Kenwood 7" Double Dinn Screen unit in my 2000 Marquis. The main problem even after much filing and cutting plastic away was the fact that the unit would bottom out on the heater duct in a 2000. I supposedly read that later Marquis heater ducts were redesigned to fit a double Dinn Radio. Well I got it to fit but it stuck out more then I liked it too. I tried heating the ducts with a heat gun using the back of a hammer to push the ducts back in some with out destroying them. I did some custom work with stereo's back in the day 1970's where I installed a stereo where even the factory didn't back then because of lack of room because of a heater duct that I had cut and re-fiberglassed to make the duct smaller. Well in this case I believe heating the ducts helped and I got to make the Kenwood sit very flush in the dash that it looks like it came in the car and brought a 19 year old car up to date with all the new cars out there featuring CarPlay in them. The Apple GPS in my iPhone works perfectly through it and the digital music well you just can't beat it. I have my Apple iTunes loaded up into my iPhone 7. For those not in the know other brand cell phones will also work the same way for GPS using Googles GPS through the system and of course any digital music you have on your phone as well. If I were you I would walk away from CD's and maybe consider what I did. I would check with different manufacturers as to the depth of their Receivers. The Kenwood is pretty deep. You may find something out there that is a little shorter. I am not familiar with the dash on a '95 Mercury Marquis if it is made the same as the 2000 or not. I believe the '99 is the same because a friend of mine has one and the dash looks the same on that car as on mine.

Old 12-03-2019, 08:08 AM
Default Double-Dinn !??

Thanks-a-ton for the heads-up on the CDs -- The Digital route is the way to go -- BUT -- We don't have ANY Apple stuff.
I think my dash opening is the same as yours.
I'll check to find a unit that will fit without modifying the dash -- I'm not good at chopping up dashboards, so I'll have the unit professionally installed.
I have a Best Buy Gift Card for $150 -- and they install for FREE for purchase over $100.
I wanna get Bluetooth capabilities for hands-free phoning, too.
Presently, we rely on our excellent GARMIN LMT-66 for navigation -- it's awesome good !!
Not in a hurry, so I have a plenty of time to shop around.
Thanks again for your advice !!

Walker H-Pipe; MagnaFlow 2" Glasspacks; Walker Tailpipes.

Old 12-04-2019, 02:51 PM

If you read my post through you should of read where I mentioned the same Kenwood Unit I installed works well not only with Apple Products but with other phone products for digital music and what have you. Android phones can use Google GPS through their phone to the unit so a separate GPS would not be needed in a receiver just as Apple CarPlay does it. As far as the dash opening is concerned. I didn't hack up my dash a bit. I had to file out and cut areas in the Radio Opening in the dash that would hold a original factory Radio in the dash in place again but I have no intention of putting a Factory Cassette Radio back in my car ever again. You will have to do the same to install a Double Dinn Receiver that looks great in the dash. Problem is I don't believe there are many short Name Brand units available out there. The Kenwood Unit I installed as far as I am concerned is the ultimate radio anyone would be happy with plus the hands free phone feature in itself is worth it but it is a deep unit. What you could do if you wanted to is buy a non CarPlay type of Double Dinn Radio Receiver with Short Chassis that will fit pretty well right in the same opening with some filing in the opening. I did the same in 2 Ford E-350 and E-150 Work Vans that I own. They work great and were inexpensive. Sound is good also using the factory speakers and you will also have Blue Tooth Hands Free phone use and digital music. You can also use Spotify and Pandora through your phone through the same radio. Here is a link for one
https://www.amazon.com/TouchScreen-Rear-View-Receiver-Bluetooth-Steering/dp/B07WFKRCPH/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=XIEJH07858DD&keywords=double+din+car+stereo&qid=1575491891&sprefix=Double+Din+%2Caps%2C139&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzN1VPVUFKWDJIVjBVJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTg1MDc2M1VLVURDUjA5UzZHRSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNDQ1NDY1MzhNVzJYV0lUVTg0RSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU= https://www.amazon.com/TouchScreen-Rear-View-Receiver-Bluetooth-Steering/dp/B07WFKRCPH/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=XIEJH07858DD&keywords=double+din+car+stereo&qid=1575491891&sprefix=Double+Din+%2Caps%2C139&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzN1VPVUFKWDJIVjBVJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTg1MDc2M1VLVURDUjA5UzZHRSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNDQ1NDY1MzhNVzJYV0lUVTg0RSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=