Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

2000 MGM rear brake issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 06:17 PM
Default 2000 MGM rear brake issues

Hi all . New to the forum. I have a 2000 MGM and had problems with rear brake shudder as felt in the seat . After replacing the rear rotors with JUNK from advance auto parts I had the existing Bosch rotors which were still in spec machined at a local repair shop . well after a short period of time i again had a shudder in the rear brakes . On advice from another shop i found an oem set of Ford rotors and oem pads on ebay . Installed same and as in every time i torqued the lug nuts to 90 pounds with my trusty snap-on torque wrench . well nothing has changed . Below 45 MPH it is not noticed . but faster speeds it shutters very bad ??? Someone suggested a slightly bent axle , but would that not cause a constant vibration ?? Otherwise the car is very nice . Any help would appreciated ....

Armond Martin
Saucier , Ms.

Old 09-07-2018, 05:06 AM

Can you provide more details? Does it only happen while applying the brakes? Did you replace calipers and hardware? Something may be hanging up a bit. A failed brake hose can act as a check valve causing the capliper not to retract. A bent axle likely would act up most of the time and can be verified bt jacking it up and spinning the wheel.

Old 09-07-2018, 07:30 AM

Ha Raski ,

Yes the brake shudder only happens when the brakes are applied . barely noticed under 45 mph . the calipers seem to be working fine . No excessive drag on the pads or rotors . I'd think if there were a problem with the calipers or mounting hardware that would show up in odd brake pad ware . All seem good when i replaced the rotors and pads .

Martin

Old 09-07-2018, 10:45 AM
Default Brake Issues

Hello, Armand, and welcome to the Mercury Forums --
There was a similar problem with my '95 MERC Marquis Restoration. Shudder under braking was bad for YEARS, with many different remedies attempted.
I changed calipers, pads, rotors, hoses, and brake fluid -- even replaced the front wheel hubs -- NOTHING worked, and the brake shudder was pretty scary during high-speed mountain driving.
After several years of frustration, my problem vanished completely, and never returned.
Genuine Motorcraft "Severe Duty" brake pads were installed on all 4 wheels, and the brakes are now EXCELLENT -- quiet, straight, smooth stops, with NO SHUDDER at any speed.
Complete brake system rebuild =
Eclipse Calipers.
AC/Delco Drilled & Slotted Rotors.
Motorcraft Severe-Service Pads.
Centric Hoses.
D.O.T. 4 Brake Fluid.
The brake parts are available at Amazon.com and RockAuto.com -- best prices and home delivery.
Part numbers for YOUR 2000 Marquis:
Front Pads = Motorcraft #BRSD 748
Rear Pads = Motorcraft # BRSD 674

Attached Thumbnails 2000 MGM rear brake issues-left-front.jpg   2000 MGM rear brake issues-right-rear.jpg