Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

2002 MGM Seat belt issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 08:04 PM
Angry 2002 MGM Seat belt issues

So I was recently given a 2002 MGM and was told there were a few issues, nothing major, that is until I noticed that the damn seat belts keep coming unlatched. it takes several times trying to buckle them until it finally catches and even then sometimes after several min into a trip it will come unlatched. ANYWAY! I can not for the life of me find a damn video showing how to replace the seat belt buckles. Can anyone point me in the right direction or maybe even the best way to handle this situation? I need to get it inspected soon. I want to use ot for my back and forth to work. any help appreciated

Old 04-06-2021, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by jjsmsalas
So I was recently given a 2002 MGM and was told there were a few issues, nothing major, that is until I noticed that the damn seat belts keep coming unlatched. it takes several times trying to buckle them until it finally catches and even then sometimes after several min into a trip it will come unlatched. ANYWAY! I can not for the life of me find a damn video showing how to replace the seat belt buckles. Can anyone point me in the right direction or maybe even the best way to handle this situation? I need to get it inspected soon. I want to use ot for my back and forth to work. any help appreciated
The Factory Service Manual says that broken or inoperative buckles cannot be replaced -- replace the entire shoulder belt.
I've never changed a shoulder belt, and don't know how -- BUT -- an auto upholstery shop should be able to do it.
Good luck finding the belt !!

Classic Style -- Relaxed Comfort -- Modern Performance.