Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

2003 marquis engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 04:30 PM
Default 2003 marquis engine noise

Im new to the forum.. my name is miranda.. but i had a question that i wanted to see if anyone had any insight on.. About 4 days ago I bought this vehicle used from a dealer.. test drove it and it seemed normal. I dont know anything about vehicles so everytime it makes an unfamiliar noise.. i panic. and im planning an out of state trip in a few weeks and planned on taking this car for an 8 hr ride.. need to know if this would be a bad idea considering what may be wrong with it.. here are the 2 issues im having... every once in awhile while driving it, it seems as tho one of the drivers side tires stops spinning for about 5 seconds.. feels almost as if you were going off the side of the road and hit the rumble strips.. it only happens very briefly and then its perfectly smooth again.. what could cause this to happen?.... and second.. i checked all the fluids and they're all good. Under the hood is very clean. but whether i drive it for 20 minutes or 2 hrs.. when i get it in park and turn it off.. theres alot of ping like noises coming from under the hood.. is that normal for a large engine? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-23-2016, 02:07 PM

Hi Miranda,

The wheel stopping problem could be serious if the wheel is actually stopping. That is not a good thing. Get that to a reliable garage soonest and have a competent mechanic see what's wrong. if you are talking about a sound rather than the tire stopping rotating then that also needs to be looked into by a competent mechanic.

Pinging noises: A couple of ideas. First, most engines will make pinging noises as they cool off. It's normal and nothing to worry about. That said, they are not usually noticeable to the untrained ear.

The other thing that comes to mind is if you turn your key off and the engine starts to "diesel". That usually means that the engine is over heated and is "running on" even though the ignition is off. That is a more serious issue and needs to be diagnosed quickly.

That can also be caused by an engine that idles too fast.

Your car is fuel injected and I pretty much doubt the latter as the fuel needed for an engine to "run on" is not there with an EFI engine. Turning off the key also turns off the fuel pump and prevents "running on".

Bill